Promoting myself as developer of databases

eduard

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The easiest way for someone non-computer inclined to invision a database at work is just like justsomeguy has said. You need to develop an application that utilizes that database. I'm sure we've covered examples before in other threads of yours, but most people aren't going to be impressed by tables and records. Any business person is already going to have seen that layout in their financial/inventory spreadsheets. What they want is something that can take that information and do something with it. Like an admin control panel for running reports that can give them insights into that data; like seeing products sold for a month, how much money that product made compared to other products, etc. Or for displaying products to be sold on their website.
But to be clear! I´m NOT going to work for chilean people (because the mayority you can´t trust > many bad experiences!). So I´ll work for foreign companies. And they certainly know what a database is!

But to be clear! I´m NOT going to work for chilean people (because the mayority you can´t trust > many bad experiences!). So I´ll work for foreign companies. And they certainly know what a database is!
That's fine, but just to be perfectly clear: I don't know anyone, including all my clients, that would pay for a database and nothing else. A database is just a container for data. No one I know wants to log in to a database management system and run queries directly on the data, everyone wants an application that they log in to and pull up reports that they can filter and sort through the application. Anyone who I would show a database to and expect to understand it already knows how to make databases themselves. Anyone who wants to buy an application from me does not know or care how the database is set up. The people running businesses don't care how a database works or how it's designed, all they care about is that they can get their reports quickly when they need to.For one of the applications I'm working on now, the database currently has 68 tables and some tables may have hundreds of thousands or millions of records. Some of the databases are over 2GB in total size. No one logs in to phpMyAdmin and starts entering queries and looking at the database structure. Instead, they use the 2MB of code I've written for the application to log in and run their reports for them. All of the time spent developing this application has gone into that 2MB of code. The database design portion is less than 1% of the total work spent on the application. We've probably spent 4000-5000 hours working on this application. All of the work is in writing the code to use the database, not actually designing the database. 1% of 4000 hours is 40 hours, or one week worth of work to design and set up the database, and 99 weeks of work to write the code that uses it.

That's fine, but just to be perfectly clear: I don't know anyone, including all my clients, that would pay for a database and nothing else. A database is just a container for data. No one I know wants to log in to a database management system and run queries directly on the data, everyone wants an application that they log in to and pull up reports that they can filter and sort through the application. Anyone who I would show a database to and expect to understand it already knows how to make databases themselves. Anyone who wants to buy an application from me does not know or care how the database is set up. The people running businesses don't care how a database works or how it's designed, all they care about is that they can get their reports quickly when they need to.For one of the applications I'm working on now, the database currently has 68 tables and some tables may have hundreds of thousands or millions of records. Some of the databases are over 2GB in total size. No one logs in to phpMyAdmin and starts entering queries and looking at the database structure. Instead, they use the 2MB of code I've written for the application to log in and run their reports for them. All of the time spent developing this application has gone into that 2MB of code. The database design portion is less than 1% of the total work spent on the application. We've probably spent 4000-5000 hours working on this application. All of the work is in writing the code to use the database, not actually designing the database. 1% of 4000 hours is 40 hours, or one week worth of work to design and set up the database, and 99 weeks of work to write the code that uses it.
See my ideas (post 16) or should I promote that I can make it possible that people is able (by me!) to obtain information much more faster? Very important is also that you live in a developed country and I am not!

I'd recommend that before you start looking for clients, you should create your own application that uses databases. Clients don't care about how you created the application. They just care that it works. Are you asking how you can show your project (that uses databases) to clients if they don't have MAMP installed? If so, the best solution is probably to have it online, like thescientist suggested.

I'd recommend that before you start looking for clients, you should create your own application that uses databases. Clients don't care about how you created the application. They just care that it works. Are you asking how you can show your project (that uses databases) to clients if they don't have MAMP installed? If so, the best solution is probably to have it online, like thescientist suggested.
Thanks!

Is it an idea to put 2 webpages (1 english, 1 spanish) of databases of phpMyadmin in the folder portfolio of my website and write that I can do that!?

Is it an idea to put 2 webpages (1 english, 1 spanish) of databases of phpMyadmin in the folder portfolio of my website and write that I can do that!?
No.In your portfolio, you can just say you can write applications that use databases, and show some of the applications you've done (when you do them that is).As said multiple times, a "database" is just part of an application. A database is NOT an application itself. People don't use databases - they use applications. The applications in turn use databases and/or other stuff.

The easiest way for someone non-computer inclined to invision a database at work is just like justsomeguy has said. You need to develop an application that utilizes that database. I'm sure we've covered examples before in other threads of yours, but most people aren't going to be impressed by tables and records. Any business person is already going to have seen that layout in their financial/inventory spreadsheets. What they want is something that can take that information and do something with it. Like an admin control panel for running reports that can give them insights into that data; like seeing products sold for a month, how much money that product made compared to other products, etc. Or for displaying products to be sold on their website.
My ideas!What do you think of them?1 Search for a interesting image of a datase on the internet (in english and spanish!) and put on the same page the basic page of phpMyAdmin (databases)2 Developing a (simple) database. 3 Put 1 + 2 into my website folder which I upload to the host server4 Send companies an e-mail with the link of a the database. Add the text (in english and spanish!): Are you interested in a database for your company? I can make it for you! (explaining what a database is and what you can do with it!)

My ideas!What do you think of them?1 Search for a interesting image of a datase on the internet (in english and spanish!) and put on the same page the basic page of phpMyAdmin (databases)2 Developing a (simple) database. 3 Put 1 + 2 into my website folder which I upload to the host server4 Send companies an e-mail with the link of a the database. Add the text (in english and spanish!): Are you interested in a database for your company? I can make it for you! (explaining what a database is and what you can do with it!)
It's not going to work.All of the replies so far have been explanations as to "why" it won't.

No.In your portfolio, you can just say you can write applications that use databases, and show some of the applications you've done (when you do them that is).As said multiple times, a "database" is just part of an application. A database is NOT an application itself. People don't use databases - they use applications. The applications in turn use databases and/or other stuff.
Sorry, I don´t agree with you! People here doesn´t know what a database is nor what an application is! My phpMyAdmin page looks like this because I (no-one else!) have written the php code and that´s why it looks like this!

Sorry, I don´t agree with you! People here doesn´t know what a database is nor what an application is! My phpMyAdmin page looks like this because I (no-one else!) have written the php code and that´s why it looks like this!
You didn't make phpMyAdmin. Other people did. Here's their website: http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.phpphpMyAdmin is an application used to interact with a database.

:) People all around the world don't know what a database is. That's the main point we're all making. If you think "people don't know what a database is" is only applicable to Chile, you're wrong - only DEVELOPERS all around the world KNOW what a databse is, and NON-DEVELOPERS all around the world DO NOT know what a databse is.A similar thing could be said for the term "Application", but the difference is that this is a consequence of "not many have computers" in Chile. In general, people that use computers in their day-to-day WORK (as opposed to just listening to music or playing movies) know what an application is soon after they start working reguarly (reason: They go to a computer shop due to a computer failure, and learn that their data can be saved, but they must reinstall their applications).Like or not, these are also the main people that will be willing to pay you. They know that "data" is something that is the result of them doing something with this thing the "computer people" call "application". So, if you say "I give you database", you're only confusing them ("A data what now? What can I do with it?") , and confusion isn't going to make anyone pay you.

My previous topic (creating a topic) has been solved, therefore suggestions of all moderators are welcome!
Yeah, about that... "moderator" doesn't mean someone who is "moderate" at their knowledge. "moderator" is someone who can control the forum (delete posts and topics, ban people, etc.). It's absolutely possible (and sometimes true) that some "member" with "newbie" status line would actually be more knowledgeable than all of us moderators combined.That is why you should take suggestions from anyone, not just the people who can control the forum.

Please, can you be more specific WHAT and HOW do I show on the ´portfolio´ page of my website and can I use the current folder of my website?

Please, can you be more specific WHAT and HOW do I show on the ´portfolio´ page of my website and can I use the current folder of my website?
Leave that for later.For now, what you must do is actually make something (an "application") that you can later put in the portfolio.

Leave that for later.For now, what you must do is actually make something (an "application") that you can later put in the portfolio.
I just want to show that I can create a database which can be changed by applications developed by me (MySQLinsert, MySQLwhere, MySQLcreate, etc.)A DATABASE WHICH IS ACTIVE!

Yeah, about that... "moderator" doesn't mean someone who is "moderate" at their knowledge. "moderator" is someone who can control the forum (delete posts and topics, ban people, etc.). It's absolutely possible (and sometimes true) that some "member" with "newbie" status line would actually be more knowledgeable than all of us moderators combined.That is why you should take suggestions from anyone, not just the people who can control the forum.
Yes, I am able now to answer questions of other forum members (sometimes I don´t know the apropiate translation!)

I just want to show that I can create a database which can be changed by applications developed by me (MySQLinsert, MySQLwhere, MySQLcreate, etc.)A DATABASE WHICH IS ACTIVE!
Nobody will care (or if you prefer, "nobody gives a s**t") about that.Do the applications themselves. That's what people may care about.

you're just not getting it. And if you haven't got it by now, with all the posts that have been supplied in the meantime, then you've got an even longer way to go before you shoud even think about showcasing your "database skills" to a client. What you really need to make is an application that uses a database. The database is just there to store the data in a meaningful way. The way that data goes in and out of the database is though an application. No one cares about the database, unless you make a bad one that doesn't work well, doesn't grow well, and is hard to get the data into and out of. All the user sees and manipulates is the application. To them, the database is pretty much invisible. They will care more about the look and functionality of the applications interface then the fact that you followed some tutorials and spent 2 weeks trying to create a basic table to hold the names and relationships of the cast of Family Guy.

you're just not getting it. And if you haven't got it by now, with all the posts that have been supplied in the meantime, then you've got an even longer way to go before you shoud even think about showcasing your "database skills" to a client. What you really need to make is an application that uses a database. The database is just there to store the data in a meaningful way. The way that data goes in and out of the database is though an application. No one cares about the database, unless you make a bad one that doesn't work well, doesn't grow well, and is hard to get the data into and out of. All the user sees and manipulates is the application. To them, the database is pretty much invisible. They will care more about the look and functionality of the applications interface then the fact that you followed some tutorials and spent 2 weeks trying to create a basic table to hold the names and relationships of the cast of Family Guy.
Ok, thanks!

No comments!

• 2 weeks later...
well, two ways. Develop an DB dependent application locally and...* bring your computer and show them on your local machine* upload your database (by exporting it and then importing it to a live db) and upload the relavent pages and send them a live linkfirst thing though is actually making a working application. Still a long road of learning ahead for you.
Can you explain me the second point please?Do I have to make a database with php and can I export it (phpMyAdmin?) to a html document and can I put this document in my website folder (my host server supports php and mysql)?

Archived