Ie Must Hate Me…Nothing I'm Doing Is Making A Difference.

jessmess

So I finished designing my site, worked out all the kinks in Safari and then went to test it on Firefox and IE. I've been having fun ever since. I'm actually pretty lucky, I think. I'm only seeing two problems I have to deal with. 1. In both Firefox on my iMac and IE on my father's Windows laptop, My items in the drop down menu are not "text-align: center" and they're not separating themselves onto different lines. In other words, under the heading Magic Kingdom, both "casual dining" and "shopping" are on the same line when they're not supposed to be. Not to mention the fact that they are left aligned and not center aligned. IE is giving me the same issue. Just to be clear, I have already tried "-moz-center" and "margin: 0 auto", neither of which worked. 2. IE is not cooperating with font size. My Walt Disney quote underneath the slideshow is perfectly sized in all other browsers, but IE resists ANY changes I attempt to make to the font size. It won't take px, em, %, anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated,~Jess :Bucktooth: :ninja:http://www.disneymadesimple.com/test-page.html

styles.css

You have to define the width for sublevel ul or li, as in

nav ul ul li{width:100%;}

at the moment, it will stretch to ul width, whose width is determine by the link text. you might even want to set a fix width for ul

nav ul ul {width:300px;}

I'll leave up to you to experiment and decide

I don't know about the size, but your line-height declaration doesn't have any units: line-height:1; Maybe Internet Explorer doesn't recognize <quotesection> as an element. I believe you have to set it as an element with Javascript for versions of Internet Explorer below 8:

document.createElement("quotesection")

Firstly, what is <quotesection>?This tag doesn't exist (I think). I know <section>, <blockquote>, but <quotesection>, no ... And yes, IE < 8 doesn't recognize this element, therefore it closes it automatically.If your code is:

<quotesection>  <h2>Test</h2></quotesection>

IE < 8 will render it as follows:

<quotesection /><h2>Test</h2></quotesection />

So your CSS selector

quotesection h2 { ... }

won't apply anymore. If you really want to emplement this,do the Javascript part like Ingolme said:

document.createElement("quotesection")

And default CSS stylings. For example:

quotesection{	display: block;}

It's not my browser settings, I did check. If I use the Javascript solution (please pardon me, I'm not a Java expert) do I leave my <quotesection> tags in the html as well? Or do I replace them with the Javascript…will this give me issues in other browsers?

probably just use an IE conditional statement for the IE browser versions that don't support it, IE<8, and then inside it include the documentCreate line inside script tags.

Archived