Formating Xmlhttp.responsetext - Solved With Thanks

niche

xmlhttp.responseText = "Bob , Brittany , Brian" var txt=xmlhttp.responseText;var txt2 = txt.slice(0,txt.indexOf(",")); slices off Bob. How do I get all three into a var with line breaks between them so I can display them with document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0].appendChild(div);document.getElementById('link_container').innerHTML=????????;

Perfect! Thank-you very much.I have another question. I haven't found a good explanation for the array index and how it works.I understand that [0] is the array index in:document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0].appendChild(div);Can you explain the array index and how it works, or provide a reference that you like?

edit: document.getElementsByTagName does not return an Array, it returns a NodeList, thanks to ShadowMage and thescientist for clearing that up! well an array contains 0 or more "elements" (different jargon to "html elements")and each array element will have an index and a value. (the index is also called the key)

var arr = []; // create an array, which has 0 elements so fararr[0] = 'test'; // store the value 'test' into the array at index 0arr[1] = 50; // store the value 50 into the array at index 1arr[2] = true; // store the value true into the array at index 2// the array now has 3 elements // you can read the value of an element by using the index between the [ and ] symbols:alert(arr[0]); // alerts 'test'alert(arr[1]); // alerts 50

document.getElementsByTagName('body') returns an array, where the amount of elements in that array, is the amount of html <body> elements found.all documents will probably just contain 1 <body> element, so "document.getElementsByTagName('body')" will return an array with 1 element, and the <body> element can be accessed in the array via index 0. another example:

<!doctype html><html><body> <div>aaaaaa</div><span>bbbbbb</span><p>ccccccc</p><div>ddddddddd</div><div>eeeeeeeee</div> </body></html>

var divs = document.getElementsByTagName('div');alert( divs.length ); // alerts 3, because there are 3 elements in the array, and document.getElementsByTagName('div') found 3 <div> elements alert( divs[0].innerHTML ); // alerts "aaaaaa"alert( divs[1].innerHTML ); // alerts "ddddddddd"alert( divs[2].innerHTML ); // alerts "eeeeeeeee"

document.getElementsByTagName('body') returns an array
Technically, it returns a NodeList. A NodeList and an array are very similar, but have distinct differences. The most notable of which is that a NodeList is a live collection of DOM elements. Meaning that the list will change automatically when the DOM changes.

Technically, it returns a NodeList. A NodeList and an array are very similar, but have distinct differences. The most notable of which is that a NodeList is a live collection of DOM elements. Meaning that the list will change automatically when the DOM changes.
'and even more notably, is not of type Array, meaning it doesn't "subscribe" to JS's native array methods.https://developer.mo...en/DOM/NodeList edit: haha, we used the same link for NodeList

So, in the case of:document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0].appendChild(div); Is that the same as placing the div 1st in the body? ... and document.getElementsByTagName('body')[5].appendChild(div); would put it in the 6th position?

getElementsByTagName('body')[0] is accessing the first body in the document. Ie, the body element at index 0. Using a 5 would try to access the 6th body in the document, ie, the body element at index 5. Since you can't (or shouldn't) have more than one body, the [5] will throw an error. Think of it this way:

var bodies = document.getElementsByTagName('body'); //this is now a collection of body elements in the documentvar firstBody = bodies[0]; //retrieve the body element at index 0 in the collectionfirstBody.appendChild(div); //Add the div to the body element

The appendChild method simply add the node to the end of the child list (a NodeList) so it would actually add it to the end of the body.

firstBody.appendChild(div); would add appendChild(div); to the end of the array. Right?If so how would I place appendChild(div); at the beginning? Or, in the middle of 5 elements?

The appendChild method is defined on all elements, it is used to add a child to a container element, like adding a form input to a form. This line: firstBody.appendChild(div); appends the element div to the element firstBody, and it places it at the end. So div is now the last element in the firstBody element. There are other methods for inserting elements at other positions. You can use insertBefore to insert an element before another one: https://developer.mozilla.org/En/DOM/Node.insertBefore

firstBody.appendChild(div); would add appendChild(div); to the end of the array. Right? If so how would I place appendChild(div); at the beginning? Or, in the middle of 5 elements?
appendChild adds the element to the end of the body. After all other elements contained in the body. It would be the same thing as:firstBody.innerHTML += "<div id='aDiv'>This is a div</div>"in which the string is appended to the end of the existing innerHTML. If you want to insert a node in a different location you can use insertBefore.

It doesn't make sense to have an index for the body since there is only one, but the point is that document.getElementsByTagName always returns a list even if there is only one element in it (or none).
The body index is basically always sterile? ShadowMage's explanation makes think bodies = document.getElementsByTagName('body'); "a collection of body elements in the document". Am I understanding what each is saying?

OK. That leads me to how to rearrange elements though I think that's another topic. So I need to thank JamesB, ingolme, ShadowMage, thescientist, and justsomeguy for an excellent topic.

Archived