changing attributes SOLVED with thanks in the last post

niche

How do I change the backgroundColor attribute to blue or green using the script as an example:

<head><script type="text/javascript">function display(el) {  if (el.innerHTML == 'Send to Cart') {	el.innerHTML = 'Sent to Cart';	div.style.backgroundColor = 'blue';  } else {	el.innerHTML = 'Send to Cart';	div.style.backgroundColor = 'green';  }</script></head><body><div id="one"><button  name="jim" type="button" onclick="display(this)">Show Date</button></div><div id="two"><button  name="john" type="button" onclick="display(this)">Show Date</button></div><div id="three"><button  name="jack" type="button" onclick="display(this)">Show Date</button></div></body></html>

As you wish to target the div which is the parent of button element

function display(el) {  if (el.innerHTML == 'Send to Cart') {	    el.innerHTML = 'Sent to Cart';    el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'blue';  } else {	    el.innerHTML = 'Send to Cart';	    el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'green';  }  }

Thanks dsonesuk. When I give the first div an initial background-color:blue; it doesn't go to green the first onlick. why? Current code:

<head><script type="text/javascript">function display(el) {  if (el.innerHTML == 'Send to Cart') {	el.innerHTML = 'Sent to Cart';    el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'blue';  } else {	el.innerHTML = 'Send to Cart';    el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'green';  }}</script></head><body><div id="one" style="height:100px;width:100px;background-color:blue;"><button  name="jim type="button" onclick="display(this)">Send to Cart</button></div><div id="two"><button  name="john" type="button" onclick="display(this)">Send to Cart</button></div><div id="three"><button  name="jack" type="button" onclick="display(this)">Send to Cart</button></div></body></html>

I was writing "I don't understand" then I did understand. I had the colors backwards. So, it's a dooh! instead. I'm a little confused on which DOM is being referenced XML or HTML?

An HTML DOM, since you are working with HTML elements.http://www.w3schools.com/htmldom/default.asp if you were working with an XML DOM, it would be completely different.http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_dom.asp

Thanks thescientist. That helped me find this: http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/dom_obj_node.asp to find the ref for parentNode. I looked for a way to target the button, but didn't see one. What's the object that will target the child (the button in this case)?

function display(el) {  if (el.innerHTML == 'Send to Cart') {	    el.innerHTML = 'Sent to Cart';    el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'blue';    el.parentNode.childNodes[0].style.color="red"; //to parenetnode then back to first (0) childNode  } else {	    el.innerHTML = 'Send to Cart';	    el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'green';        el.parentNode.childNodes[0].style.color="lime";//to parenetnode then back to first (0) childNode  }   }

Just warning about childNodes: It also returns text nodes. In your example,

<div id="one" ...><button  name="jim type="button" onclick="display(this)">Send to Cart</button></div>

This isn't an issue, because the div has no text node children. If you instead wrote it like this:

<div id="one" ...>  <button  name="jim type="button" onclick="display(this)">Send to Cart</button></div>

You'd have a problem. The div now has 2 text nodes because whitespace (including new lines) is counted as text. In this case, childNodes[0] would refer to the newline and tab (or spaces) before your button element. childNodes[1] would actually refer to the button. To get around this, you'd have to loop through all the childNodes and test the nodeType property (nodeType 1 is an element node) or the nodeName property to find your button.

Thank-you dsonesuk and ShadowMage. Had no idea that how I format my code impacts node order. Did I say that right?

Thanks. How do I test for that? console.log(el.parentNode); ? If so, where do I put it in this code:

<script type="text/javascript">function display(el) {  if (el.innerHTML == 'Send to Cart') {	el.innerHTML = 'Sent to Cart';    el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'green';    el.parentNode.childNodes[0].style.color="red"; //to parenetnode then back to first (0) childNode  } else {	el.innerHTML = 'Send to Cart';    el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'blue';    el.parentNode.childNodes[0].style.color="lime";//to parenetnode then back to first (0) childNode  }}</script>

I misread your post your said loop not test. How do you write a JS loop that runs through el.parentNode.childNodes? Is el.parentNode.childNodes the name of the array?

Identify how many childNodea within a parent then use a 'for loop' to loop through them and identify what they are

function display(el) {  if (el.innerHTML == 'Send to Cart') {	    el.innerHTML = 'Sent to Cart';    el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'blue';    el.parentNode.childNodes[0].style.color="red";  } else {	    el.innerHTML = 'Send to Cart';	    el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'green';        el.parentNode.childNodes[0].style.color="lime";          }  alert("childeNodes Found: "+el.parentNode.childNodes.length)  for(i=0; i<el.parentNode.childNodes.length;i++)      {    if(el.parentNode.childNodes[i].nodeType ==1)    {    alert("A Element detected! Element Name : "+el.parentNode.childNodes[i].nodeName)    }    else    {alert("just text, line-break, whitespace detected! This nodeName is : "+el.parentNode.childNodes[i].nodeName)    }  }   }

I'm not getting any of the alerts to work. Even when I deleted the for loop and added a semicolon to the alert:

<html><head><script type="text/javascript">function display(el) {  if (el.innerHTML == 'Send to Cart') {	 el.innerHTML = 'Sent to Cart';	 el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'green';	 el.parentNode.childNodes[0].style.color="red";  } else {	 el.innerHTML = 'Send to Cart';	 el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'blue';	 el.parentNode.childNodes[0].style.color="lime";  }  alert("childeNodes Found: "+el.parentNode.childNodes.length);}</script></head><body><div id="one" style="height:100px;width:100px;background-color:blue;"><button  name="tom" type="button" onclick="display(this)">Send to Cart</button></div></body></html>

The alert displays in the first script works and doesn't in the second. Why?

<html><head><script type="text/javascript">function display(el) {  alert("childeNodes Found: "+el.parentNode.childNodes.length); }</script></head><body><div id="one" style="height:100px;width:100px;background-color:blue;"><button  name="tom" type="button" onclick="display(this)">Send to Cart</button></div></body></html>

<html><head><script type="text/javascript">function display(el) {  if (el.innerHTML == 'Send to Cart') {	 el.innerHTML = 'Sent to Cart';	 el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'green';	 el.parentNode.childNodes[0].style.color="red";  } else {	 el.innerHTML = 'Send to Cart';	 el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'blue';	 el.parentNode.childNodes[0].style.color="lime";  }  alert("childeNodes Found: "+el.parentNode.childNodes.length); }</script></head><body><div id="one" style="height:100px;width:100px;background-color:blue;"><button  name="tom" type="button" onclick="display(this)">Send to Cart</button></div></body></html>

Because you now have a new line break between div and button, it counts this as a node, but! you are applying a style to this node, which it cannot do as it is not a element, so this breaks the code, and you end up with el.parentNode.childNodes[0].style is undefined error, which is the whole point we are trying to make, in that you will need to loop through nodes, identify it is a element, the correct element, and then apply the style. this produces 3 childnodes (1) \n (2)button (3)\n.

<div id="one" style="height:100px;width:100px;background-color:blue;"><button  name="tom" type="button" onclick="display(this)">Send to Cart</button></div>

el.parentNode.childNodes[0].style will target (1) which not element causing error, that breaks processing the rest of code; this produces 1 childnode (1) button

<div id="one" style="height:100px;width:100px;background-color:blue;"><button  name="tom" type="button" onclick="display(this)">Send to Cart</button></div>

el.parentNode.childNodes[0].style will target (1) which is element, then style it with no further problems. this will loop through all childnodes whatever they are, identify if element and a button and apply style no matter how many newline, spaces you use.

function display(el) {      if (el.innerHTML == 'Send to Cart')        {                   el.innerHTML = 'Sent to Cart';          el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'green';        for(i=0; i<el.parentNode.childNodes.length;i++)            {            if(el.parentNode.childNodes[i].nodeType == 1 && el.parentNode.childNodes[i].nodeName.toLowerCase()=="button")                {                el.parentNode.childNodes[i].style.color="red";                }            }        }    else        {		 el.innerHTML = 'Send to Cart';		 el.parentNode.style.backgroundColor = 'blue';        for(i=0; i<el.parentNode.childNodes.length;i++)            {            if(el.parentNode.childNodes[i].nodeType == 1 && el.parentNode.childNodes[i].nodeName.toLowerCase()=="button")                {                el.parentNode.childNodes[i].style.color="lime";                }            }	      }         alert("childeNodes Found: "+el.parentNode.childNodes.length);}

You punched through some confusion I had about what is an element. Obviously, the line breaks change things. Though, it's the line breaks not the style that's causing the problem with the earlier script. Please confirm. I want to be clear on this.

it's the line breaks not the style that's causing the problem with the earlier script. Please confirm. I want to be clear on this.
Yes. The line breaks (or any whitespace character) create text nodes. Text nodes do not have a style property.
sometimes it's just easier to give an element an ID and get a reference that way....
True, but I think niche is just trying to expand on the knowledge he's received. I believe the original issue was solved.

On that note I'd like to close this topic. You're right ShadowMage. This topic adds to my understanding of the context of JS. I need to thank you, thescientist and especially dsonenuk for making this an outstanding topic.

Archived