Root -/local host folder?

eduard

What I don´t understand: Do I have to put all the files in the root folder of my webserver and wil the php files automatically go in the folder local host?

"localhost" is not a folder, but if it helps you to think of it as one: The root folder of your web server is your localhost folder.All files you want to be visible by users go into that folder or subfolders of it.

mmm - Thus, the folder of my website I´ve to put in the root folder of my webserver or do I only put the files of my website in the root folder?

Wait, wait... "root folder" is a very relative term... let's avoid it for now...First, you have "a folder" that your web server program is in (usbwebserver.exe I assume?). That folder is completely irrelevant. Forget about it (for now at least).Then, you have "another folder" with files in it. The file "index.html" from this folder is what you see in your browser when you type "localhost" without anything else... All files you want to be visible to users need to be in THAT folder or subfolders of it.

Are you trying to host your site on eduardlid.com? It looks like it has expired. You need to use an FTP program to connect to the server that hosts your website, find the folder called either "public_html" or "www" on your server, and upload your files there. You had a website online at one point, so I don't understand why all of a sudden you can't figure out how to organize your files.

Are you trying to host your site on eduardlid.com? It looks like it has expired. You need to use an FTP program to connect to the server that hosts your website, find the folder called either "public_html" or "www" on your server, and upload your files there. You had a website online at one point, so I don't understand why all of a sudden you can't figure out how to organize your files.
Since november 2011 URL = www.eduardlid.net

So, what do you suggest: root folder is a mess, website folder is a mess, FTP is a mess!How do I save the files (Wordpad, block de notas = I don´t exactly know it in english?) I can´t install anything on this pc! > Flash Drive?

How do you save the files? The files aren't already saved? I don't understand what you're missing. You already have a website online. You got those files online somehow. So, do the same thing. Use your FTP client to connect to your server, and upload the files that you want to upload in the places where you want them to be. I can't help you if your organization is a mess, that's your problem.

How do you save the files? The files aren't already saved? I don't understand what you're missing. You already have a website online. You got those files online somehow. So, do the same thing. Use your FTP client to connect to your server, and upload the files that you want to upload in the places where you want them to be. I can't help you if your organization is a mess, that's your problem.
The problem is that I can´t find the index.php file - with the insert.php script and html form (I´ve tried many times: Find, without success!). That file is working off?-line, but I´ve not been able to upload it to my FTP server! Edited by eduardlid

Guest So Called

It looks to me like your website page is being generated by an HTML file. Maybe you deleted your PHP file.

How did you upload the files which currently are online on your website?

How did you upload the files which currently are online on your website?
I´ve in the root folder of my webserver a folder called: website1! All the files in it (without the php files!: they are separate in the root folder!I think I see the problem: all files must be saved in the same folder (incl. php files! But insert.php is now in index.php?).

Guest So Called

Ah I see. It appears he has both index.html and index.php, and the index.html takes precedence. I can tell because an access to the root URL does not contain the X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.10 header.

I´ve in the root folder of my webserver a folder called: website1! All the files in it (without the php files!: they are separate in the root folder!I think I see the problem: all files must be saved in the same folder (incl. php files! But insert.php is now in index.php?).
So.. you mean you have something akin to
D:\USBwebserver v8_en\root\website1\index.html

that you then access in your browser with

http://localhost/website1/index.html

and the question is if PHP files must be in the folder called "root" or the folder called "website1"?PHP files can be in either place. If they're in "root", like at

D:\USBwebserver v8_en\root\insert.php

they'll be accessible from

http://localhost/insert.php

and if they're at "website1", like:

D:\USBwebserver v8_en\root\website1\insert.php

http://localhost/website1/insert.php

So.. you mean you have something akin to
D:\USBwebserver v8_en\root\website1\index.html

that you then access in your browser with

http://localhost/website1/index.html

and the question is if PHP files must be in the folder called "root" or the folder called "website1"? PHP files can be in either place. If they're in "root", like at

D:\USBwebserver v8_en\root\insert.php

http://localhost/insert.php

and if they're at "website1", like:

D:\USBwebserver v8_en\root\website1\insert.php

http://localhost/website1/insert.php

Ok, but if I fill out data in the html form, on line the data doesn´t go into my db?If I put the insert.php file into the website1 folder it doesn´t open (Win32 error!)? So, I think this php file must be saved in a different way? Edited by eduardlid

No, I uploaded the website folder, but now I get the error message of another ´old´ php file!Do I´ve to changr something concerning my html form in the index.php file?

yeah, I'm sure giving us the error message would be of no value... for the record, I don't think anyone in this thread really has any clue what's going with your site. Probably because you aren't presenting your issue clear enough, because you are confused. It's the viscous cycle that never ends.

Now again an error of my insert.php file: Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/eduardli/public_html/insert.php on line 10Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)??? <?php$Site_Name = $_POST['site_name'];$Site_URL = $_POST['site_url'];$Description = $_POST['Description'];$con = mysql_connect("localhost","root","usbw") or die(mysql_error());mysql_select_db("website", $con);$sql="INSERT INTO links (Site_Name, Site_URL, Description)VALUES ('$_POST[site_name]','$_POST[site_url]','$_POST[Description]')";if (!mysql_query($sql,$con)){ die('Error: ' . mysql_error());}mysql_close($con);?>

Edited by eduardlid

You're not using the correct username and password to connect to the database on that server. Read the error message.
Yes I know that, but why does it work off-line and not on-lne?