Raster to Vector

amitamberker

Hello Everyone,1. Which is the best Software to convert Raster image / files into Vector image / files?2. Is it possible to convert Raster image / files into Vector image / files from Adobe Illustrator CS5 or CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6?3. Is it possible to convert Raster image / files into Vector image / files from Internet?

• Like 2

I don't think there's an automatic path to convert raster images to vector images. You may need to open the raster image as a background layer in something like Illustrator and then trace the shapes using vector layers over the background, then delete the background and export the vector image. You'll be able to find tools that should do a good job of converting a simple image like a solid color logo, but for something like a photo that wouldn't work as well.

I don't think there's an automatic path to convert raster images to vector images. You may need to open the raster image as a background layer in something like Illustrator and then trace the shapes using vector layers over the background, then delete the background and export the vector image. You'll be able to find tools that should do a good job of converting a simple image like a solid color logo, but for something like a photo that wouldn't work as well.
Hi justsomeguy,If you don't mind, could you please show me a Live Demo? Maybe you can share your Screen via Skype. I shall Watch you and Note Down the steps into a Notepad. Please let me know... I need to sleep now. It's too late.

That's not what I do, I'm not an artist. I just work with some people who have done that in the past with Flash. They just trace an image with vectors and then save only the vectors.
Hi justsomeguy,Okie. I can understand. No worries. So, as per your recommendation I Googled and found this Video Demo:
Correct?

My recommendation is to draw over the picture with vector tools. Automatic programs just never get it right.
Hi Ingolme,Could you please expain how? You mean, using a Pen Tool? Or?... Yes, I agree that Automatic Programs never get it right. I can understand what you mean.

In photoshop I'd use the pen tool. (Photoshop has vectors despite what it may appear to be). I don't have Illustrator.With the pen tool, click to add a corner, click and drag to add a curve. You'd need to trace out each solid color region and you can give it a gradient if you like.

In photoshop I'd use the pen tool. (Photoshop has vectors despite what it may appear to be). I don't have Illustrator.With the pen tool, click to add a corner, click and drag to add a curve. You'd need to trace out each solid color region and you can give it a gradient if you like.
Hi Ingolme, LOL!... I know how to use a Pen Tool in Adobe Photoshop. I have used Pen Tool thousands of times from past several years. What I meant was, you said that you recommendation would be to draw over the picture with vector tools. So, I was trying to understand if you are referring about Pen Tool or Some Other Tool in Photoshop. Could you please explain this: ? (Photoshop has vectors despite what it may appear to be) I have Adobe Illustrator CS5.1 in my Laptop. If you need it, I can give it to you. Edited by creative1977

It's just tracing over the original picture. There's nothing more to explain about it. Put the original picture on one layer and then use the pen tool to trace over on the next layer.

It's just tracing over the original picture. There's nothing more to explain about it. Put the original picture on one layer and then use the pen tool to trace over on the next layer.
Hi Ingolme, Oh! Oh!... Okie Dokie. Gotch you. I have used Pen Tool to remove Backgrounds of many many many pictures. I have never Traced any picture till today. Maybe I can search as "how to trace an original image from photoshop" in Google and YouTube. If you find something interesting, please do share it with me. Edited by creative1977

Hi Ingolme, I found something:

Hi Ingolme, I found something:

All that video shows is somebody applying filters to the image. By trace, I just mean draw ontop of the image, there's nothing more to it. Click, click click until you've redrawn the whole image with vectors.

All that video shows is somebody applying filters to the image. By trace, I just mean draw ontop of the image, there's nothing more to it. Click, click click until you've redrawn the whole image with vectors.
Hi Ingolme, Yes... Yes... It's just Click and Click and Click untill we get a Outlines of the whole image. I know. But I am just very concerned about the internal section which could contain so many pixels. How to get (grab) those related shades and tones into the Vector? Edited by creative1977

Vector graphics are not meant to have complicated shading. With vectors you're limited to either gradient shading (apply a gradient to a filled area or cel-shading (shadows are a separate filled area from the normal area)

Try this, it shows how to apply shadows and tones http://www.teamphoto...p-5,8,101a.html
Hi dsonesuk, It's much more easier in CorelDRAW to create Shadows and Tones. Let me show you one of my Vector Based art work. Please see the attached "05_Product Illustration TV.jpg" file. I made this during July 2004 to December 2005 when I was an employee of X employer.

Vector graphics are not meant to have complicated shading. With vectors you're limited to either gradient shading (apply a gradient to a filled area or cel-shading (shadows are a separate filled area from the normal area)
Hi Ingolme,Yes, I agree with you.

????? which is exactly how they are reproducing the shadows in the example
I wasn't replying to your post.I'm telling him that a vector picture will never have as much detail as a raster picture, especially if the raster picture was a photograph.

I wasn't replying to your post.I'm telling him that a vector picture will never have as much detail as a raster picture, especially if the raster picture was a photograph.
Hi Ingolme,OMG... I am aware about all those basics :) I know that mate. I am using Adobe Photoshop from past 8 years. Did you see the attachment of "05_Product Illustration TV.jpg" file? If not, then please see it. If you have see it, then thank you for seeing it.
  • Like 1