adding an event to a created element Solved with thanks

niche

Please confirm this says, "if the element by id isn't found create it"

} else {		if ( sTargetID.addEventListener ) {  //for better browsers

Edited by niche

No! If argument 'sTargetID' sent with function registerEvent( sTargetID, sEventName, fnHandler ) is not a id reference

var oTarget = document.getElementById( sTargetID );   if ( oTarget != null )

if no element with id sent with sTargetID, as in it EQUALS NULL as example hereregisterEvent( 'popup-link', 'mouseover', show ) which would reference id of

<a id="popup-link">Click me to show/hide, or hover to toggle</a>

it must be reference to element which an event was triggered

else   {   if ( sTargetID.addEventListener ) {  								 sTargetID.addEventListener( sEventName, fnHandler, true );				  } else {							var sOnEvent = "on" + sEventName;							if ( sTargetID.attachEvent )							{								   sTargetID.attachEvent( sOnEvent, fnHandler );							}				  }           }

that used

<div onmouseover="coordinates(event)" id="div1" style="float:left;height:200px;width:500px;margin:0px 0px 10px 0px;background:aqua;"></div>

OR

<div onmouseover="coordinates(this)" id="div1" style="float:left;height:200px;width:500px;margin:0px 0px 10px 0px;background:aqua;"></div>

Edited by dsonesuk

OK. I should should've said in #26, "if the element by id isn't found addEventListener() to sTargetID". Correct?

Edited by niche

In post #25 dsonesuk said:

but now, should accept a calling of function targeting the current element using 'this' or 'event' as wellonmouseover="coordinates(this)"onmouseover="coordinates(event)"
Is that because "this" is always implied? if not, why?

Dsonesuk, please confirm that's because "event" is the argument in coordinates() and that "this" a substitute for event in this example. If "abc" was used the the argument for coordinates() "abc" and "this" could be used interchangeably. Right?

Edited by niche

??? I don't know what you want, I confirm YES you can use THIS if you want to identify the element that called the function <div onmouseover="coordinates(this)"></div> function coordinates(elem) //elem referes to argument this that referes to element that the function was called from{//with it you can identiy id ref. and for instance a img and its alt attribute alert(elem.id)alert(elem.alt)you can even go through hiearchy and target its parent elem.parentNode, sibling etc} EVENT will refer to to the current elements EVENT ('onmouseover') that called the function.

Your last post helped a lot and zeros in on the variety of info that's sometimes passed through a JS argument. Until recently, I had no idea data movement was so verbose in JS. Thanks for all your help on this topic dsonesuk. As usual you went above and beyond. Thanks also to jsg, thescientist, ShawdowMage and birbal for your help on this topic.