Question about templates

Tomz

Hi, when you create a template in the dreamweaver for your simple html website, you can edit it later and the dreamweaver automatically applies those changes to the selected subpages. Okay, but what about the changes to the particular subpages when you use just text editor? Are there any tricks that you can use to quickly update subpages to the current template? (e.g. links) Or do you just need to manually copy&paste/rewrite the changes to each single subpage? Are there any tricks, efficient methods? Or perhaps a very good design is the answer? Thanks.

Edited by Tomz
  • Like 1

Hi can I just jump on this thread and ask the question? Is Dreamweaver a good tool to have? I know it does a lot of things automatically for the user, but is that really good practice? Never used Dreamweaver and have always wondered what the hype is about. It doesn't look to be my sort of thing, I prefer simply notepad++. Let me know your thoughts please, I am looking into getting an adobe package.... Laboratory Technician

Depends on why you're using it. If it's a crutch because you can't do it yourself, I'd say no. If you're using it as a productivity tool, because it's faster than doing it yourself, but you could if you wanted to, with no problems, then I'd say you probably should use it.

DW was basically created for people who have little or no coding skills, but this doesn't mean a skilled person can not use it. Most skilled designers/developers use/work only in the 'Code' view. There it's basically a text editor where you can do anything you want just like any other editor basically. So as for DW being a good tool or not, it depends on the user because DW offers you many ways to do things. So for example, if a user is not too skilled, they most likely are going to work in the 'Design' view. There it's basically like a wysiwyg and DW will automatically generate the source code for you. The problem with this though is that some of the generated code can be outdated or considered bad practice code, but that may depend on the version you're using. If an older version, chances are it will generate outdated or bad practice code, but if it's a new version, most likely it will generate code that applies to today's standards. I like DW for the way it organizes my files/sites, built in FTP, and proven to be very stable. Whenever I use it, I only work in the 'Code' view side of town. I wish that Adobe would make a 'lite' version of it where it's basically like any text editor without the wysisyg part of the program and all those extra plugins it has etc.But in the end.. niche said it best: "do it yourself. You'll be glad you did."

Indeed I will do it myself, I have never used a wysiwyg editor and I never will from what I have heard. Everyone I have spoke to has said to write the code yourself so you know exactly what is happening and what code is actually within your files. I'm one for progressing my knowledge in web design and using a wysiwyg would not allow me to do that. Taking into account what you have said about the different 'modes' in DW though, the 'code' view is definitely something which appeals to me. I'm jut not entirely sure at this moment in time if it really worth the money to just use it as a text editor. I will have a re-think. Thanks... Laboratory Technician.

Edited by Labtec