Function that will reset input date?

w3schoon

Nice be with you everyone! Problem: Is there a function that will reset input date?_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ // Here's my code: <script type="JavaScript"> function reset() { // Is there a function that will reset input date?} <script> <input type="date" name="date"> <button onclick="reset()">Reset Date</button>_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Thank you.

Didn't know that . Thanks dsonesuk. I will use something like this instead:

function updateInput(ish){	document.getElementById("fieldname").value = ish;}

Edited by niche

Finally I made it (reset input date)!_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ // Here is my code: <script type="JavaScript"> function reset() { // Creat date datatype variable and set it to null value var a=new Date();a.setFullYear(0,0,0); // Get input date element and insert a value with that variable var b=document.getElementsByName("name")[0];b.value=a; } <script> <input type="date" name="date"> <button onclick="reset()">Reset Date</button>_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ @dsonesuk: Thank you for http://w3schools.com...ef_obj_date.asp @niche: Thank you I found out that innerHTML is only for changing text inside of an element.

Edited by w3schoon

Finally I made it (reset input date)!_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ // Here is my code: <script type="JavaScript"> function reset() { // Creat date datatype variable and set it to null value var a=new Date();a.setFullYear(0,0,0); // Get input date element and insert the variable a var b=document.getElementsByName("name")[0];b.value=a; } <script> <input type="date" name="date"> <button onclick="reset()">Reset Date</button>_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ @dsonesuk: Thank you for http://w3schools.com...ef_obj_date.asp @niche: Thank you I found out that innerHTML is only for changing text inside of an element.
You shouldn't use the onclick attribute to add events, you should use the addEventListener function (and possibly .attachEvent if you want support for oldIE).

Did you mean like this?________________________________________________________________________________________________________ function load() { var a = document.getElementsByName("name")[0]; a.addEventListener("click", function(){ reset() }, false); }________________________________________________________________________________________________________ @callumacrae: Am I right?

Edited by w3schoon

If you go that route,(1) A id reference is required for the button to apply event listener(2) you will have to take into account most better browsers will use addEventListener with 'click' while crappy IE will use attachEvent with 'onclick', so you will have to check which it will accept and make appropriate convertion.(3) you will have to add these events once the page is fully loaded.(4) the button you are using will cause a reload of the page, so it will reset the input with the date you set, but the page will reload, and it will end up blank again at its default state, so you will have to prevent reload of page, when the button is clicked.

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><title>Reset input date</title><script type="text/javascript">// Function to add event listener to id2function load() {var a=document.getElementById("id2");a.addEventListener("click", resetDate, false);}// Function to reset input datefunction resetDate() {var a=new Date();a.setFullYear(0,0,0);var b=document.getElementById("id1");b.value=a;}document.addEventListener("DOMContentLoaded", load, false);</script></head><body><input id="id1" type="date" name="date"><button id="id2">Reset Date</button></body></html>

Yes! it works but only for IE9+ and other browser, as IE versions lower don't recognise addEventListener only attachEvent, and also as long as you don't place the button element within form tags, it will still work, but! if you do, it will fail because it will do a complete reload of page, as it be will treated as a submit button to submit the form.

Another problem. I suspect you are testing in FF or IE. Neither of those has implemented the type="date" input. So it acts like a plain text input. Try your code in Chrome. You will find that Chrome expects to receive the date value in a very specific format. Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to read if the Chrome format is or will become an industry standard. I can say that the output of a.setFullYear(0,0,0) is NOT the expected format.