Linux

aspnetguy

HI,It is looking like I will be able to get all the parts I need to make a small server. I am thinking of running Linux, PHP, Apache, and MySql.There is one problem, I have never used Linux. Which version is the easiest for a beginner but yet good enough to run a web server?Thanks for your advice.

SuSe or Ubuntu I've heard are good versions. If you, like me, don't know much about Linux OS commands (linux can be like dos if you've got a very light version), you should get them with KDE installed, it's a user interface with taskbars and icons and stuff, more like windows you know.

I've tried both SuSE and Ubuntu, and preferred the latter under Gnome. Wait for the new Dapper release before downloading though, it'll be much better.If you really want the KDE, go with Kubuntu, but I much prefer the functionality and little quirks of Gnome, the seethrough taskbar, the nice Gnome styling, and it's always nice to be different than "windows" :)

Aspnetguy might just happen to like windows, or at least be used to it, programming in asp and microsoft technologies. :)Anyway, I'm just speaking from very limited experience, from what we've used in school. I like SuSe a lot, that's what we use now, with both Windowmaker, Gnome, KDE and what have you. Quanta+ is a nice html editor. Too bad it's only for linux and not windows... :)http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/