Password deleter?

reportingsjr

I did the same thing to a though away camera... while it had the battery still in it, so it kept charging and releasing energy... couldn't feel my hand for a while..ever made shock boxes? then tell people not to touch it because it's yours.. I haven't because we ran out of time turning school, it was a extra credit thing for shop class.

Well the point of a capacitor is to hold a charge, what did you think was going to happen? You can always use a soldering iron to put one back on the motherboard, but if you get that far, there is probably too much resistance for the thing to be stable anyway.But unplugging a hard drive never hurt anything.. as long as it's not running that is.

I just wanted to mention one other thing. Once you get the access issue worked out with your brother, and you have access to your machine again, it would probably be a good idea to set up individual user accounts. You can do this with Windows 2000 or later. You will want to set up your account as the administrator, put a password on it (apparently you have already done that part), and set up your screen saver to turn on after a couple minutes and require a password on resume. Then, set your brother up with his own account, give him a password, and make his account a power user rather than an administrator. He will be able to install most programs, but he won't be able to install anything that modifies the Windows system files. He can log in under his own account to do what he needs to do and you will retain control of the system. Or, you can also just create your admin account and another general account for everyone to use, but make it a power user, not an admin.

Well couldn't you just startup in safe mode and go on the admin account if there's no password on that account.
that actually sounds like a good idea. if it works. i havent tested account things in safe mode but i would guess that they would work. you could change your account to admin and change your password.

that actually sounds like a good idea. if it works. i havent tested account things in safe mode but i would guess that they would work. you could change your account to admin and change your password.
That only works if there is no password on the admin account or you know the password. If you can get in apply a password or change the exisiting one so your brother does just change your password again.

Guest Tautoa

im not too good with computer hardware and stuff, but is there not some kind of password reset thing on the motherboard? i think i read that in the manual for my computer, although theres a fiar chance im wrong....

Windows is an OS. It has it's own ways to store data (the registery, temporary files, so on), so a motherboard can't access anything it's doing unless windows wants it to. And that's probably not going to happen. The motherboard just takes what it's given. The only way to do this would be to A. Format the hard drive (probably not an option in your case)B. Ask your brother for the password (pretty please?)C. Take out the hard drive (if it's a new computer), buy a connecter, and plug it into another computer as an external drive. :)All our pretty taxing. Your choice :)Also, I was playing with a circuit I had made a while ago---what it did was checked the temperature of the room. If it was hot, it would turn on my room fan. Problem was, i had to connect it to the 110 volt outlet....so I touched a badly connected SCR-transistor joint to check if it was working. Just to tell you, it was working. *shivers*

So.. if I took out the hard drive and connected my laptop.. while logged on to my name I would just use it like any other external hard drive and got to my computer then whatever drive and I would be able to edit the password there? Hmm..

External hard drives have certain connectors, chances are you cannot plug in an SATA or IDE drive externally, you would need to have a USB connection or IEEE1394 or something like that.Even so, you still wouldn't be able to change the password, because the Windows that is running is not the one on the other hard drive, it's the one installed on the laptop drive. The only thing you can really do is get your brother to change the password. If he won't, then you can disable the computer until he gives you the password, but the solution is to get the password changed.

• 1 month later...
Ok well I ran accross this while looking for something else...Do you have the OS disk? If so just try re-installing the OS? Seems I remember having to do this before way back when...Not sure about newer OS's (XP, 2000 etc)?
AS long as the OS CD is bootable you can get into BIOS (as long as that is not password protected) and change the settings to boot from cd. I am not sure if a repair install would let you change user accounts or if you would have to doa fresh install.How is this issue coming? Did you sort things out with your brother?

• 1 month later...

Problem is not about computer has been locked and how to unlock. But problem is your brother not want you to using it. Hence I think why don't you ask with your brother first for his reason, it will make you know what he want and may make him favor. If you still have no way to solve and you not wrong. It will be better to go ask your parent for some advise.Another thing.. If your brother just don't want you to use same OS or HD, you may buy new HD for use yourself. This is fair, you can use computer by just HD price. Except you think you have right to use it for free.

Well, I guess its all been solved. I hate my brother (usually) and he hates me (usually). So when Christmas comes hopefully I will get my own computer :). I guess I could just get a new hard drive and switch it for the current one every time I wanted to use it..

• 10 months later...