HTML Colours

holmedwa04

Hi,As most of you already probaly know, when writting a colour you can use the colour name, or a hex value, I have listed the colour names that you can use below:Black,Sliver,Gray US spelling,White,Maroon,Red,Purple,Fuchsia,Green,Lime,Olive,Yellow,Navy,Blue,Teal,Aqua,* Lightblue,* Lightyellow,* Lightgreen,* Pink.* Not always accepted by some browsers.Then obviouly you have the Hex value (256 I think).Link Here to a table of the colours with RGB values as well, the username is: buildmysite, and the password is: now.So here comes my question, why can you use any colour you like if you get the hex number of an image program? Is it because the 256 colours are websafe or something?

You can use hexcodes safely :) With only those "safe colours" you can't really choose nice colours out of so little amount. But it is up to you :) You can use anything you want, only not all colours (might) look exactly the same in all browsers.

You can use hexcodes safely :) With only those "safe colours" you can't really choose nice colours out of so little amount. But it is up to you :) You can use anything you want, only not all colours (might) look exactly the same in all browsers.
So, if I dont use the websafe colours will they perhaps appear dithered?I dont usually use other than websafe colours, its just for one site template that I have made.

So, if I dont use the websafe colours will they perhaps appear dithered?I dont usually use other than websafe colours, its just for one site template that I have made.
I haven't seen this issue for several years. It used to be an issue when people had 8-bit or sometimes 16-bit color displays, but the vast majority of users these days have at least 24-bit displays that will display any hex value correctly.

Brown, Yellow, White, Red, Blue, Green, Orange, Gray, Magenta, Lime, Pink, Purple, Dark Blue, Aqua Marine, Royal Blue, Dark Red, Dark Turquoise, Turquoise, Dark Khaki, Sky Blue, Maroon, Tan, Ivory, Cyan, Gold, Plum, Light Coral, Indian Red, Firebrick, Silver, Alice Blue, Lightslate Gray, Light Blue, Aqua, Maroon, Navy, Teal, Indigo, Antique White, Blue Violet, Cadet Blue, Chartreuse, Chocolate, Cornflower Blue, Crimson, Dark Orchid, Salmon, Deep Pink, Dodger Blue, Fuchsia, Dark Salmon, Gold, Green Yellow, Olive, Peru, Saddle Brown, Tan, TomatoAll those are colour names you can use... If you can't read what it says because of contrast, highlight the word with your mouse. If it's a two-word color, write them in one word.:)

I also always use hexcodes, but with that explanation of http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/colors/ I now understand how those hexcodes work. So I don't have to use a page that sommuns all hex colors :) It is very handy to know how they work, it is like the rgb() values.

Thanks for mentioning that, I wasn't sure about it :)
Wow, that is seriously cool, I never knew that there were that many different colours you could use, the ones that I listed were from a HTML book that I have got but from reading it, I think that it was last printed in 2000, and so it might not be up to date.But I will certainly use those other ones, I mainly use just hexcodes but they are cool!

Wow, that is seriously cool, I never knew that there were that many different colours you could use
There are over 16.7 million colors you can use! Anything from 0x000000 to 0xFFFFFF. In hex, FF is 255, so you can use values from 0-255 for each RGB: #RRGGBB.

It's the way different media uses colors. With print media or mixing paint, white is the absence of color and black is every color. The more colors you mix together, the darker the color gets. Any kid with a set of watercolors can tell you that. With light (such as computer monitors), it is the reverse. The absence of color is black, and every color being mixed is white. White on a screen is all colors being shown maximum. The more colors you add to the light, the brighter the light gets. You can see it for yourself with a prism. If you shine light through a prism, it gets separated into the different wavelengths and you can see all of the colors that make it up.