web portfolio/ resume site

dubesinhower

i've spent a lot of time recently trying to get this site completed, and i finally finished!chrisdubiel.com(fixed already) my friend said that i should replace the javascript variables for some css visibility changing, but i'm not quite sure how to implement it yet.any other suggestions are welcome!update! i have since changed my webpage! check out my new thread.

You do not have META TAGS for SEO, and I think it is better for SEO to have multiple pages not all in one page. Do not forget the title tags and HTML validation.
I don't think SEO is something that's all that critical for his site. Most search engines don't give a lot of weight to META tag info these days, due to abuse of the tag.Also, there's no real penalty for having his content folded into one page, the search engines will index it either way. It may even be to his benefit to have the content all in one page for this particular site.The site looks fine to me.

Also, there's no real penalty for having his content folded into one page, the search engines will index it either way. It may even be to his benefit to have the content all in one page for this particular site.The site looks fine to me.
will the javascript vars be indexed?

will the javascript vars be indexed?
The actual variable values themselves? Generally not. Google does render javascript when it crawls a page, but as far as I'm aware they don't catalog the actual variable values.

The actual variable values themselves? Generally not. Google does render javascript when it crawls a page, but as far as I'm aware they don't catalog the actual variable values.
so i'm better off making them hiding divs?

The image links do nothing in my browser. Some JavaScript errors turn up in my Error Console on page load. I suspect these are related.I was more concerned that your images are VERY large in proportion to their xy dimensions. Some more compression would make your page load more quickly, and probably not degrade the image quality. You probably don't notice the download time, because the images are cached. But first-time visitors will likely be annoyed (and also wonder about your design savvy).

The image links do nothing in my browser. Some JavaScript errors turn up in my Error Console on page load. I suspect these are related.I was more concerned that your images are VERY large in proportion to their xy dimensions. Some more compression would make your page load more quickly, and probably not degrade the image quality. You probably don't notice the download time, because the images are cached. But first-time visitors will likely be annoyed (and also wonder about your design savvy).
Before he fixed it clicking a picture loaded text on the right side of the page. Not sure if the functionality has changed now since all the text is on the page all at once. Or unless it's a big error, as you have proposed.

I'm going to go against the flow of what people have said here - and I think it looks boring and uninspired.Having 'Picture: blah blah' in the middle of the text says nothing to an average user - i just presumed they are related to the images in the top left corner - which incidentally do nothing when clicked on.To be brutally harsh and honest - if you sent that site out to a potential employer claiming to be a website designer and/or developer, you wouldn't even get a phone call, they'd probably hit 'delete' straight away.Site just doesn't do anything at all, it just sits there.Sorry to be harsh, but i'd rather be honest than say 'yeah it looks ok'.:)

To be brutally harsh and honest - if you sent that site out to a potential employer claiming to be a website designer and/or developer, you wouldn't even get a phone call, they'd probably hit 'delete' straight away.
I don't want to speak for the OP here, but I don't think he's trying pass himself off as a web developer. If you read his site and resume, he's clearly more oriented towards networking and IT type work. I think he's just merely showing off an online version of his resume and bio. Although I could be mistaken, but before everybody rips his throat for being something I don't think he ever claimed to be....

Yeah, hence why i said IF he was looking to get a job related to design and development :)But still, he says on site he likes to design sites, and his first paragraph/heading after the welcome bit is saying 'website design'.I think to better promote his skills, he certainly should have an eye catching design, as to me, that site reflects my stereotypical view of IT repair people - dull, boring people with no social life who sit around in a basement cellotaping bits of circuit boards together.:)

The site seems to be more of a reference to what the he does than a blatant attempt to attract an employers. If that's the case then the presentation is to the point as I said as opposed to flashy and distracting. It wont spring a job as a developer but someone might need info on a potential tech support etc.

does the site not work for some of you? it seems like some people are still saying the javascript doesn't work. anyone who is not able to get the pictures to change the text so that only one chunk is viewable at a time should refresh or delete cache.and a side note on the images, what is a good resolution for the web? i believe i have these set at 120 ppi, with a size of 160 by 120 pixels. is this not reasonable? or should i make the resolution smaller?edit: i found some errors using the w3schools validator. is there a reason why some of the javascript shows as an error?

Yeah, hence why i said IF he was looking to get a job related to design and development :)But still, he says on site he likes to design sites, and his first paragraph/heading after the welcome bit is saying 'website design'.I think to better promote his skills, he certainly should have an eye catching design, as to me, that site reflects my stereotypical view of IT repair people - dull, boring people with no social life who sit around in a basement cellotaping bits of circuit boards together.:)
:)you pretty much guessed me lol. but what do you suggest? i'm not crazy about the colors, and i'm sure the site could use something more. like i said on the site, i'm pretty amateur at web design. i only know the basics of html and css.

• 1 month later...
edit: i found some errors using the w3schools validator. is there a reason why some of the javascript shows as an error?
The validator tries to read the JavaScript like HTML and of course it doesn't validate because it is NOT HTML.To get around that use this code
<script type="text/javascript"><![CDATA[// content of your Javascript goes here]]></script>

Hope this helpsdink

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived