To become a Web designer

rjapz

Self taught/study html and css. I want to start a new career as a web designer. I know 90% of HTML and 85% CSS, and still learning everyday. I did a little research for jobs as a web designer, and so far the qualifications I seen. You need skills in Php, Javascripts, Xhtml, Mysql, Flash , Dreamweaver,Perl and Photoshop. Now that’s to much, is it really necessary to know all that to become a web designer, or they just saying that it's required to know a few. I not made for school, and I already took classes on A+ and Network +, and Im kind of fed up with school, and still not getting far enough with all the run around. But Im really interested in web design, and don’t want to have to go back 4 another 1 or 2 yrs of school. And Im still going to teach my self what there is I need to know to become a WD. But what I really want to know is, what are the real main web programs to learn and to become a WD. I already know html/css, and I play around with photoshop and dreamweaver, but I prefer to use notpad or wordpad, I have better control. And I already done a few pages of my own for practice. But it’s not the same as working in the field with professionals in a office/business. I don’t want to burn my brains studying what’s not necessary. What are the main things I need to learn?

Well i am not a webdesigner, but just learning HTML and CSS is only enough if u want a booring static website with text.I've u wanna make a website with some action a inlog system and stuff u realy need to learn PHP MySQL and Javascript.

If you start to make a real big and live site you'll immediatly see why (X)HTML and CSS is just not enough.Photoshop you need only if you'll make designs as in "visual arrangement and estetics". It's only a raster image editor. The most powerful one to be exact. If you're comfortable using another one, go ahead. If you can make a very beautiful graphic in paint rather then Photoshop, go ahead. But Photoshop provides you more tools to do the thing more quickly and elegantly.Dreamwaver is only an editor. It can be used as a WYSIWYG editor (which would be useless for you) and a text editor with a code assistant which is far more helpful then Notepadders think. There's nothing special to it. If you know (X)HTML and CSS as much as you claim to, it will be only 5 minutes in it until you feel comfortable.Speaking of claims, how did you estimated you know 90% of HTML and 85% CSS? I've never been able to say how much I know in a certain language, not to mention saying percentages.

As the master said, you gotta now PHP and javascript. For websites designs tou can use Photoshop, and study some tutorials because they learn you photoshop, not big and boring books. For another type of websites, you must know Flash. Very powerful for interactive sites. Check this out: www.learnflash.com . It has video tutorials. And if tou wanna be a skillful WB u must know how to work in notepad.So the researches that you made are very good and very true if you wanna be a good WB. So they are all important: Php, Javascripts, Xhtml, Mysql, Flash , Dreamweaver,Perl and Photoshop.I don't know what's Perl but i think it's important too . :)

Some browsers have problems with flash thoughI am using Opera , and i can't get Flash installed.I must use Internet Explorer to see flash site's.But if ur a creative web designer and wanna make a flash site.Then u need to learn actionscript.

If you start to make a real big and live site you'll immediatly see why (X)HTML and CSS is just not enough.Photoshop you need only if you'll make designs as in "visual arrangement and estetics". It's only a raster image editor. The most powerful one to be exact. If you're comfortable using another one, go ahead. If you can make a very beautiful graphic in paint rather then Photoshop, go ahead. But Photoshop provides you more tools to do the thing more quickly and elegantly.Dreamwaver is only an editor. It can be used as a WYSIWYG editor (which would be useless for you) and a text editor with a code assistant which is far more helpful then Notepadders think. There's nothing special to it. If you know (X)HTML and CSS as much as you claim to, it will be only 5 minutes in it until you feel comfortable.Speaking of claims, how did you estimated you know 90% of HTML and 85% CSS? I've never been able to say how much I know in a certain language, not to mention saying percentages.
Thanks u so much Boen Robot for the advice, I really need it, I hate being confused. I really don't know exactly what i know. But just by reading WD books, html/css. And calculate what I already know and don’t know. I some how came out with that percentage, Its not accurate…kind of funny though, that u caught on 2 that. lThank u so much guys for the advice, i appreciate it so much. I now know what I need to study. But im not finish yet, you'll here from me again and again....lol

you dont have to learn everything. you can concentrate on either design (photoshop/html/css) or development (php/asp/etc.)in the company where i work some of us (like myself) have backgrounds in graphic design. we also have web developers experts in php etc. who just work on that. i got my job by having a good portfolio. the best way to improve in my experience is to just build sites. make personal sites or whatever.

OK, I'm not going to discredit anything that has already been mentioned, but much of it is subjective. I'll elaborate in a minute but first you have to make sure you understand the terminology you are using. I've done this before on this forum and would prefer people searched so I do not have to repeat myself, but Robert P, you've taken the time to carefully word your post and seem sincere in trying to figure this out - so, here I go . . . .Here is how it breaks down:a.) web graphic designerb.) web programmerc.) web designerSince I'm listing the links where I've shared this information before, I'll just cut to the chase. I'm self taught, I'm a senior web developer at a large non-profit. I make decent money and moonlight smaller contracts to supplement my income (car dealers city municipalities, bed & breakfast, etc.). I've always and only used Dreamweaver (code mode only), Photoshop, Flash, a Web Browser (now Firefox), and the popular databases. Again, to spare me the time, you can just hit the link in my signature to review my resume if you like.So, my point . . . Figure out which job you want and follow a plan accordingly:a.) web graphic designer = photoshop, flash, with an understanding of HTML ( so you kow how an image is going to have be cut up for HTML to code it)b.) web programmer = server side scripting language (coldfusion, asp, php, jsp), XHTML, CSS, XML, XSL, a database (ms sql, mysql, oracle - stay away from ams access)c.) web designer = a combination of both with more focus on design - as a designer (not graphic designer) your role is to understand and define EVERYTHING about the site. You basically build the functional and technical specifications - where the programmer and graphic designer implement them.Having said that and all the stuff in the links below - you have plenty of reading to get started on. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.Related Topics:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=3718http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=7781http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=2646http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=2102http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=948

I am totally in agreement with Skemcin.You don't need to know PHP and Mysql.It does depend on what area or what your focus is. Personally I am a designer. I design mock ups, the graphic side and code some HTML and PHP. But I am extremely good at HTMl and CSS but like I said I am more of a designer. Which is fine.As more of a designer - I have a couple of options. One is to work with a bigger company who has a complete development team. Or to do many small business websites. And I do both. I have a company which I am employ a dev. team, which enables me to work on the look and feel of websites more. I can either stick to creating HTML and CSS based websites or when we are creating a huge database driven websites - I work with my team. I also am deeply involved in SEO for the smaller business.Good Luck on being a designer :)

Lol, my experience so far has been a rough one. I applied at my current position to be a graphic designer, instead I got hired as a webmaster (I have to do the design, art, and programming O_O ). I have had some past experience with Flash, Dreamweaver, HTML, and CSS. But on my first day I learned that I needed to become proficent in ASP, ASAP. Along with that JScript to use in ASP. Finding any info for classic ASP w/ JScript is like pulling teeth. Everyone is using .NET and anyone using classic is programming with VBScript. It's been interesting. And considering that my degree is in multimedia and not web tech. or programming, it has been a baptism by fire.But I guess what I am trying to say is that PHP, Javascript, XHTML, Mysql, Flash, Dreamweaver, Perl (though I really don't know what it is or does), and Photoshop is a good place to start if your career is to focus on web site creation. It is rare anymore (from what I have seen) for places to hire a web designer JUST to design their site, they want someone to create a site. That includes design, art, and programming. The more of this you know, the better your chances are of surviving in the already flooded tech market. You have to make yourself more profitable then your competition. Any how, I wish you luck.

I just think you need a good program, as Dreamweaver is one of the best i know, start makeing different styles with HTML/CSS, try addeing some javascript to it then start with PHP/MySQL, Perl aint so verry important... w3schools if absolutly the best place to start with web design and programming.->Kristian_C.

Yea that's for sure i had a project on my school and we had to devolep a site for a business .So i did some research and learned htmlKnow i have learn html and css. and javascript ( I also learned on other sites)But w3schools is the best place to start:)

Self taught/study html and css. I want to start a new career as a web designer. I know 90% of HTML and 85% CSS, and still learning everyday. I did a little research for jobs as a web designer, and so far the qualifications I seen. You need skills in Php, Javascripts, Xhtml, Mysql, Flash , Dreamweaver,Perl and Photoshop. Now that’s to much, is it really necessary to know all that to become a web designer, or they just saying that it's required to know a few. I not made for school, and I already took classes on A+ and Network +, and Im kind of fed up with school, and still not getting far enough with all the run around. But Im really interested in web design, and don’t want to have to go back 4 another 1 or 2 yrs of school. And Im still going to teach my self what there is I need to know to become a WD. But what I really want to know is, what are the real main web programs to learn and to become a WD. I already know html/css, and I play around with photoshop and dreamweaver, but I prefer to use notpad or wordpad, I have better control. And I already done a few pages of my own for practice. But it’s not the same as working in the field with professionals in a office/business. I don’t want to burn my brains studying what’s not necessary. What are the main things I need to learn?
I've been a web developer for ten years. When I got my first full-time gig, I was a "designer". What got the job for me was not my skills in html and JS, which were hardly proven at the time, but 1) artistic ability and 2) proven ability to learn.I thought I knew it all. I would have claimed that I knew 90% of html (CSS was hardly around at the time).I have since learned - even as recently as today - that whenever I think I have it all down, I have room to grow.As for what you should study, answer this: what to you want to do?Do you want to make websites pretty? Learn photoshop. Don't think that learning it will make you an artist, though.Do you want to make websites that do amazing stuff? Learn JavaScript and look in to learning JSP or PHP, maybe even AJAX.Want to make websites that are usable and intuitive? Study usability.Don't get hung up on learning one thing and thinking you'll do that when you're done learning. Things change. I've wasted lots of time on learning the "big thing" and missed lots of opportunities to get on board with the next thing.In addition to all of your studying, DO stuff. Make websites for yourself, for your family, friends, local businesses... make it happen. I learn more every day by DOING than by INPUTTING.Best wishes.

To become a good web developer and designer, you need only a few of the skills mentioned. To become an overall good programmer and designer, I suggest you start with the basics and work your way up through whatever you find interesting, not stopping at any given point.I suggest knowing:+ HTML/XHTML+ CSS+ some Javascript+ PHP+SQL/ASP/.NETIn addition it may be worth learning:+ UNIX+ Python+ Perl+ C/C+++ Java+ XML+ DHTMLPrograms you should be familiar with:+ Dreamweaver+ Photoshop or the equivalent+ Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, ExcelPrograms you may want to look up:+ Flash+ Fireworks+ Freehand+ Go Live+ FrontPage+ Illustrator+ Live Motion+ Image Ready+ Quark+ Microsoft Outlook, Access, Visio, ProjectIn my personal opinion being a web developer isn't enough. You must also focus heavily in either pure programming, or pure artwork and design. Without one of the two, you're just another web developer.

...In my personal opinion being a web developer isn't enough. You must also focus heavily in either pure programming, or pure artwork and design. Without one of the two, you're just another web developer.
I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. There is a lot one can do to separate themselves from the rest of the "just a web developer" crowd - its not reduced to being a hard core programmer or designer. Having been in the business for over 10 years, I've been on all sides - jobless, employed, self-employed, contracted, and responsible for hiring and firing. Through all that, the skills almost always come second - granted they are used heavily to weed out average or below average - but you have to bring more to the table than your main skill set to impress a company or manager that cares. You can find a job anywhere with any skill set but the company will use you if YOU don't look for the right employer. The right employer will qualify you on your specific skills but will decide on overall package.I keep my resume up to date and I've been called for three interviews this week and I am not looking for a job. I was even offered a job with only doing a phone interview. I'm not a pure programmer and I'm far from a pure designer. "Don't think that learning it will make you an artist, though." - LittleSam was describing me in this statement. What I'm saying is that your focus should always be on your ability and confidence to be successful at whatever you do. I am certain I can find any solution my employer challenges me with. I may not be the programmer or the designer to do it, but I can contribute the solution. Being a purist (in the sense it was being used here) is only going to obligate you to doing other peoples work and will never afford you the ability to think on your own. That approach is thinking from the bottom up - turning that around and thinking from the top down will be far more rewarding.Its like making sure you have more than enough to be a piece in the puzzle while leaving enough room to realize there are other pieces to the puzzle that create the bigger picture.

there isnt one set route to take. theres plenty of different jobs and types of company in web design/development. One of my friends just does flash website design for trader media group he hasnt coded outside of flash in yearsWhere i work we dont use much flash. We put a big emphasis on search engine optimisation so, its all valid xhtml & css in here. And theres plenty of other places that do things in different ways too.