protect html code

gawain

Hi everybody.I was wondering if there is a way to protect html code, so that if someone tries to see the page source, nothing turns out. Sometimes it happened to me to check the source page, and almost nothing would appear. I thinks is a "protection masure", but maybe I'm wrongThanks for any hint and :) help

Nope. With frames you only see the parent frames source but there are ways around that. You can disable right clicks but they are ways around that. Bottom line is there is no way to protect it.

Nope. With frames you only see the parent frames source but there are ways around that. You can disable right clicks but they are ways around that. Bottom line is there is no way to protect it.
OK. Thanks a lot :)

you can make your code very difficult to read by removing a lot of the formating of the html document. basically you remove newlines and unnecessary whitespace in the html document so the entire html document becomes a single line. this would frustrate anyone trying to steal code unless they were quite determined. it's not an out and out solution, but i have seen it done before.remember that when you try to make edits in the future you will also have to deal with a single line with thousands of characters in it.

With DreamWeaver there is a source formatting command. I can copy/paste his code and it'll add the tabs, new lines and spaces in less than 5 seconds...

oh right lol, i don't use dreamweaver didnt know that. i never used the technique myself but i have seen it done. article about it here http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/copyprotecthtml.html
That article suggests putting copyright notices in your code
<!-- Copyright 2005, example.com. All Rights Reserved. We will take legal action against those who copy our HTML content, CSS style sheets and JavaScript functions. -->
Good luck trying to enforce that. You would have to build crawlers to constantly be searching the web for copies of your code. And if you were stupid enough to take someone to court for stealing your HTML code then have fun proving you are the original author.Making any effort to protect your HTML is just a waste of time.

in PHP i know you can restrict direct access to a file, but i cant really remember how!You could always make your site with a user system, and make every site except the index a user only page, so people have to register to steal your code?

Yes, and most users will just leave the site and read the information somewhere else toowhy make it harder for your users to get what they want in a futile attempt to protect something that you can't protect.

aspnetguy is right, and I'll say it again, but I'll use fancy formatting this time to try to get the point across that this statement does not require any discussion:It is never possible to protect HTML, CSS, or Javascript codeAnything you try can be circumvented. If anyone doesn't believe me, instead of replying and saying "but but..", just post a link to a "protected" page and I'll be happy to paste the code for you. I cannot think of a single circumstance that would deny me from seeing the code. The very nature of the internet (the fact that it is designed specifically to distribute data) makes protecting the code impossible. Any attempts at obfuscating the code can be circumvented easily, HTML Tidy is a free plugin for many text editors that will auto-format HTML code. PSPad is one free text editor that includes HTML Tidy.

justsomeguy:You are very, very wrong now. There is one way to protect it: don't publish your sites hahaSorry...that was a bit off-topic or?Anyways, if the page is public everybody can view your source - sorry to say :)

justsomeguy:You are very, very wrong now. There is one way to protect it: don't publish your sites haha
That's exactly right - the only way to not give people access to your code is to.. not give them access. If I can pull up your site in a browser, I can get your code.

Protecting your rendered HTML code is as foolish a concept as preventing from other people from using the same language you speak. I can't prevent you from using "Skemcin" so I can't prevent you from using view-source:http://www.iribbit.net/i/Its the brain behind the rendering that can only be copyrighted - that is the source code if you're not catching my analogy. Don't give anyone access to your source code or compile it, and you're safe (for the most part).The real understanding to have is that if somebody REALLY wants something, they will find away to get it. If they succeed, I just hope you have means to prosecute them - if not, be flattered that your stuff was impression enough to warrant such an attempt.

I guy I know said that the only thing that we have that our competitors do not have is our people. People can take all the HTML code I produce that they want, they can rip whatever they want off. But when someone is looking for a site as good as the ones I make, they are going to come to me, not to the guy who copied my code.Don't worry about stopping others from copying your work, you won't be able to, just make sure you stay one step ahead of them.

I guy I know said that the only thing that we have that our competitors do not have is our people. People can take all the HTML code I produce that they want, they can rip whatever they want off. But when someone is looking for a site as good as the ones I make, they are going to come to me, not to the guy who copied my code.Don't worry about stopping others from copying your work, you won't be able to, just make sure you stay one step ahead of them.
^ what I was trying to say, but articulated much better. :)

aspnetguy is right, and I'll say it again, but I'll use fancy formatting this time to try to get the point across that this statement does not require any discussion:It is never possible to protect HTML, CSS, or Javascript code
I'll just add Images to that as well.
Protecting your rendered HTML code is as foolish a concept as preventing from other people from using the same language you speak. I can't prevent you from using "Skemcin"
What is that anyway? What does the name mean? It's not in any language I use (bilingual).

It is an anagram for "sick men", maybe that sheds some light.
Then shouldn't the name be "Skamcin"? :)

Paramedics here are called EMS. It stands for Emergency Medical.. Something. EMS.
No, I meant for the namagar... :)

lol - this is funny - interesting insight.Reminds me of Saving Private Ryan where they try to guess what Captain Miller did back in the states before the war.What is the pool to now?

Archived