OT: Want to move to USA

Anders Moen

Hello!Finally I never have to go to school anymore but yes, I did search for 3 schools here in Norway but if I don't get to my 1. or 2. choice, I don't want to go to school (1 and 2 has some webdesigning and programming at school) so I have decided I want to move over to USA if I don't get in at 1. or 2. choice but if I get into 1. or 2. I will move after the school is doneBut I don't know where to move. I have been thinking of New York or LA but I've heard both places are expensive...So are there any "cool" places where it's not very expensive? (If there is in NY or LA that'd be nice).Oh yeah, I'm tired of school because 10 years with no break (except some vacations - longest is 2 months) that becomes way too much for me and that's why I have been...well, don't really want to tell you (maybe later)So suggestions anyone?Thanks in advance :)* Maybe not the best place to discuss this, but since many of you live in USA I thought this was the place to ask *

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but you're 15 years old. Have you discussed this with your parents?

Yeah, I know..that's where my whole plan fails. But if I talk good with them (or whatever you call it again), something might work :)I have some family in Oregon who I have talked to over mail sometimes so I could talk a little with them too,and maybe stay with themBut yeah, I agree with you. Sounds really stupid just being 15 and trying to move now, but hey! It's worth a try :)

Well, Oregon is pretty far from New York at least. You'd be a lot closer to LA in that case.

Stay in Norway for your first year of Videregående (High School). Then for the second year you can try a year abroad through either EF or STS Språkreiser, who both offer you the possibility of staying a year in the United States. I'd think it easier to get a visa that way, and it won't be as permanent as moving will.

Well, I know that won't be as "permanent" as if I move there, but I don't really want to come back here...unless I get the girl I like lol

Stay in Norway for your first year of Videregående (High School). Then for the second year you can try a year abroad through either EF or STS Språkreiser
Well, yeah, I will stay all 3 years if I get in on my 1. or 2. choice. But my 3., never. I don't even like that school lol. But our "rådgiver" (don't remember the English word right now) made us pick 3 schools so we had the chance to get in on one of the schools...

Hello!Finally I never have to go to school anymore but yes, I did search for 3 schools here in Norway but if I don't get to my 1. or 2. choice, I don't want to go to school (1 and 2 has some webdesigning and programming at school) so I have decided I want to move over to USA if I don't get in at 1. or 2. choice but if I get into 1. or 2. I will move after the school is doneBut I don't know where to move. I have been thinking of New York or LA but I've heard both places are expensive...So are there any "cool" places where it's not very expensive? (If there is in NY or LA that'd be nice).Oh yeah, I'm tired of school because 10 years with no break (except some vacations - longest is 2 months) that becomes way too much for me and that's why I have been...well, don't really want to tell you (maybe later)So suggestions anyone?Thanks in advance :)* Maybe not the best place to discuss this, but since many of you live in USA I thought this was the place to ask *
Based on my own experience:- Mobile, Alabama: a socially regressive hellhole, avoid this place like the plague.- Pensacola, Florida: a nice, respectable place to live, although it has hurricanes.- Navarre, Florida: its been a long time since I lived in Navarre, but it was very quiet, slightly underdeveloped. It compete with Bellevue, NE in terms of having nothing to do, although Fort Walton Beach is close by.- Bellevue, NE: a lower-middleclass suburb, relatively safe compared to NY and LA. There's nothing to do in Nebraska, but its an inexplicably strong Silicon Valley powerhouse. There aren't as many cornfields as you think, although you're always within walking distance of one. Lots of small local businesses and strip malls.- Papillion, NE: an upper-middleclass suburb, and a physically cleaner part of Nebraska. I like Papillion more than Bellevue.- New Orleans, Louisiana: a place to go if you want to have a new crazy story to tell everynight. Its fun, but I didn't like it much. Unless I was just in the wrong part of town and talked to the wrong people, New Orleans has a lot of crime, the culture promotes a kind of perpetual immaturity and anti-intellectualism, and you wouldn't trust your kids with 90% of the people there.- Boulder, Colorado: snow and hippies. WTF?I'd settle for a place in Florida, its a nice place to live.

There is no reason in the world to live in LA. If you want to be near a big city with opportunities for advancement in the computer industry, you should think about San Francisco instead. San Francisco, although insanely expensive, has got to be one of the better cities in this country. Also, I don't know too much about Norway other than that it is probably cold and rainy. If that's the case, and if you have family in Oregon, you'd feel right at home here (in Oregon). Portland is a great little city (if you like rain).Basically, any city on the West Coast (that is to say, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, or LA [Except LA sucks]) will provide you with plenty of opportunity in the computer industry.

There's all kinds of rankings out there you can look through:http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&...-8&oe=utf-8Austin, TX is a fun town, they have a good atmosphere there and a lot of entertainment like live music. Dell is headquartered in Austin, the tech industry is taking off there. A lot of the towns on the east coast like Boston, Philadelphia, New York, Washington etc would be fun to live in, but they are densely populated, older then other cities, and some are more expensive. Cities in California are a lot of fun to be in, a lot goes on in California. If I moved there I would either go some place around San Francisco, or down near San Diego. The weather is always perfect in San Diego, the weatherman there has the easiest job on the planet. The problem with California is that land is way overvalued, home prices in California are through the roof. A good place to start out might be around Phoenix, AZ. There are a lot of suburbs around here, land is cheap. It is a big city, but it's easy to get away from. Home prices around the Phoenix area are probably around 25% - 33% of what the same house would cost in California. I bought a home several years ago that is 2,140 square feet which I bought at the time for just under $250,000. The same house in California, depending on location, would cost anywhere between $600,000 to $1,500,000. We've also got a lot of technology here, Intel makes a lot of their processors around here, they have several fabs. Motorola, Honeywell, and Lockheed have plants here, and Google just moved in not too long ago. Also, Tempe is a fun little college town, there's stuff going on there quite a bit if that's your scene. The only problem with the Phoenix area is the heat, in the summer it will get up to 120F. But the heat doesn't last all year, during spring, fall, and winter it it nice here. We are also only 4 hours to the beach in Mexico, or about 6 or 7 hours to San Diego. There are also cities in higher evelations in the state that don't get as much heat, places like Sedona, Tucson, or Flagstaff, but Phoenix is more fun.

Archived