Best way to practice web development?

Zandorian

I have Dreamweaver 8, and I have read and understood the w3schools tuts on xhtml and I am on CSS...My question is how do I practice it? This sounds dumb, but it isn't if you think about it. How do I think up ways to use css.....it's kinda hard to explain what I mean... I guess I mean how do I REALLY know xhtml and css...I know the best way is to create a website....but I can't THINK of ways to use all of xhtml and css on a website....ANy help?BTW: i'm new

Maybe if you dwaw a prototype website on a paper or something and try achieving each of it's components one by one? Practise is the key I mean...

Maybe if you dwaw a prototype website on a paper or something and try achieving each of it's components one by one? Practise is the key I mean...

I need to create a very professional business website...maybe that's the keySomething like microsoft's website..... I looked at the css stylesheet they used for microsoft.com.... wow! It used id selecters a lot, is there some big advantage with using id selecters.

not really.Ids have to be unique so if you use alot of id selectors you are un able to use the CSS code again. But if you assign classes you can reuse the class over and over.Since when has MS ever done anything the easy way? :)

Not to mention that their HTML is ancient and you are suppose to use XHTML, right?Use big sites to see how NOT to do the things. Use smaller but standart compilant sites to see how you SHOULD do the things. See aspnetguy's site (spatterdesign) for instance :) .

Make an xhtml page as you would normally, then step by step, using classes, switch your formatting attributes with the equivalent css information.

Not to mention that their HTML is ancient and you are suppose to use XHTML, right?Use big sites to see how NOT to do the things. Use smaller but standart compilant sites to see how you SHOULD do the things. See aspnetguy's site (spatterdesign) for instance :) .

Agreed, look at standards compliant web development to better your skills. You can't go far wrong then :)

Guest websupermaster
Agreed, look at standards compliant web development to better your skills. You can't go far wrong then :)

Where are a lot of those kinds of websites?btw i am zandorian, i lost my pass... :)

Where are a lot of those kinds of websites?btw i am zandorian, i lost my pass... :)

You lost your password? Can't you try getting it back?http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...t=Login&CODE=00See the Attention! box? You should try that. It's not allowed to have two active accounts, so we'll need to know if you can get the old one back, and then we can lock this account. If you can't get zandorian back, we'll just lock that one up and you can continue with this "websupermaster". Please give one of the mods a nudge over PM when you are absolutely sure which one you'd like to keep.