http://www.blackle.com/

Html

I guess it saves some amount of energy by not using so much white on my monitor, but I don't know if it's really that significant. It's an interesting idea anyways.

It's a noble effort, but sadly it doesn't do any good. On modern monitors, having a black background saves no power. In fact, on current LCDs, it uses *more* power.Google has put a black background up for a day before, but they clearly stated this fact. http://www.google.com/lightsoutsf/Unless you have an old CRT monitor (like 12+ years old) you will see no difference in energy consumption, and even then it will be very tiny. Save money on eyeglasses and continue using the normal Google site.

Yeah, like redwall said, it won't make a difference with LCD screens. Had you had a plasma computer screen on the other hand, but they don't usually make plasmas below 37" do they?

Yeah, like redwall said, it won't make a difference with LCD screens. Had you had a plasma computer screen on the other hand, but they don't usually make plasmas below 37" do they?
And what's wrong with a 37" monitor? Call of Duty would be awesome on that :)

And what's wrong with a 37" monitor? Call of Duty would be awesome on that :)
Sure, sure, but then you'd need a 37" Full-HD monitor to match the average computer's resolution capabilities. I'm just saying, if I had a screen like that to begin with, I'd much rather hook it up to my Playstation 3 and play CoD on that platform instead. :)I'm more than happy with my 19" LCD for the computer. We're all spoiled here anyway, by others or ourselves, depending on age. I mean, we have computers, think about that... Some people don't have electricity or water.

And think about the distance you'd have to sit from your monitor if it was that size... and you'd never be able to read text on sites that define sizes in pixels :)

And think about the distance you'd have to sit from your monitor if it was that size... and you'd never be able to read text on sites that define sizes in pixels :)
That's what's awesome about the PS3. Not only is it an awesome game console, but there's a browser that's quite allright, so you can surf the web in the living room, either by using a virtual keyboard or hooking up a USB one. Youtube and general newssites are the basic surfing sites... :)

That's what's awesome about the PS3. Not only is it an awesome game console, but there's a browser that's quite allright, so you can surf the web in the living room, either by using a virtual keyboard or hooking up a USB one. Youtube and general newssites are the basic surfing sites... :)
I wouldn't mind playing a console on a large TV like that I just hate play FPS games with the controllers. A mouse and keyboard are so much easier.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Macs don't actually save as much energy as they boast about you know. Though quiet, you've running a supposedly powerful machine. How does it cool? Think about it.There were news this year about chemicals from macs used to cool it down internally.

The power difference between an all on, all off lcd is minimal. If you were able to somehow control the backlighting, which is a major part of the draw, sure (and you'd have great colour blacks too) - but you can't. it was said a while back that blackle must get the domain owners a lot from ad revenue alone.

• 3 weeks later...

I checked that website and google at the same time, they do not give the same results, blackle doesn't update as google does by their advertising among other things.

Guest FirefoxRocks

To test the energy efficiency of the page, can't you just use a power meter thing to monitor the power used when the Google page is up and when the Blackle page is up? Of course this assumes that you do not change anything else that uses power.

Archived