Rate my first template

Elevator_Hazard

I know that this template isn't the greatest, but I still want to know what all of you think about this template I made with regular HTML. Also, 3 days doesn't seem like much time, but I do have a little experience in a few other programing languages that aren't quite... officially programing languages. Anyway, just tell me what you think.Also, I would like to know how some really nice templates are made, like the ones with the good looking links where you hover over them and the cell its in lights up and such.Here it is:

<head><style type="text/css"> A{text-decoration:none}a {            display:block;height: 100%;width: 100%;}a:hover {        color: #DDDDDD;background: #808080;display:block;height: 100%;width: 100%;</style><script type="text/javascript">function mouseOver(){"td.Link1"}function mouseOut(){td td.link1 bgcolor="#00FF00"}</script><table width="100%" height="25%" align="center" bgcolor="#222222"><tr><td><p> Picture/banner/title goes here</p><! pic/title here></tr></head><body text="#656565" bgcolor="#000000" link="#777777" vlink="#999999" alink="808080"> <table border="0" width="60%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD" valign="top" align="center"> <! LINKS GO BELOW> <tr> <td align="center" class="Link1"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link1</a></td></td> <td align="center" class="link2"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link2</a></td> <td align="center" class="link3"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link3</a></td> <td align="center" class="link4"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link4</a></td> <td align="center" class="link5"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link5</a></td> <td align="center" class="link6"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link6</a></td> <! More can be added (copy+paste and change class) > </tr> </table><br>   <table height="20%" width="65%" bgcolor="#232323" align="center">   <td><p>Advertisement here</p></td>   </table><br>	<table height="120%" width="80%" bgcolor="010101" border="1" align="center">	<tr> <! Main Info >	<td width="15%" align="left" valign="top" height="60%">	<p> left side</p>	</td>	<td width="50%">	<p>Main area</p>	</td>	<td width="15%" align="right" valign="top" height="60%">	<p>Right side</p>	</td>	</tr>	<tr>	<td width="15%" align="left" valign="bottom" height="60%">	<p> bottem left</p>	</td>	<td width="15%" align="right" valign="bottom" height="60%">	<p> bottem right</p>	</td>

Hey,Being your first template, I'd say its pretty good. I would add Sample's like in each table.

This is the left table.This is the left table.This is the left table.This is the left table.
I would also add a Image template, so you could see exactly how the site would look if everything was in place.and I would add A small table at the bottom for your footer. Other than thos minor things, I like it.-Matt :)

I think it is a good first template. You should probably start looking into adding som css now. they way you are changing the colors and some other things is fine but some of those ways are depreciated. browsers still understand it but it is better if you used css insted. I challange you in the future (after you have a good understanding of css) to make a template without using a table. you can use div's and other tags and then have css align them how you want.

Updated after good-looking links :)here you go! please give feedback!

<head><style type="text/css"> A{text-decoration:none}a {            display:block;height: 100%;width: 100%;}a:hover {        color: #DDDDDD;background: #808080;display:block;height: 100%;width: 100%;</style><script type="text/javascript">function mouseOver(){"td.Link1"}function mouseOut(){td td.link1 bgcolor="#00FF00"}</script><table width="100%" height="25%" align="center" bgcolor="#222222"><tr><td><p> Picture/banner/title goes here</p><! pic/title here></tr></head><body text="#656565" bgcolor="#000000" link="#777777" vlink="#999999" alink="808080"> <table border="0" width="60%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD" valign="top" align="center"> <! LINKS GO BELOW> <tr> <td align="center" class="Link1"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link1</a></td></td> <td align="center" class="link2"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link2</a></td> <td align="center" class="link3"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link3</a></td> <td align="center" class="link4"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link4</a></td> <td align="center" class="link5"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link5</a></td> <td align="center" class="link6"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link6</a></td> <! More can be added (copy+paste and change class) > </tr> </table><br>   <table height="20%" width="65%" bgcolor="#232323" align="center">   <td><p>Advertisement here</p></td>   </table><br>	<table height="120%" width="80%" bgcolor="010101" border="1" align="center">	<tr> <! Main Info >	<td width="15%" align="left" valign="top" height="60%">	<p> left side</p>	</td>	<td width="50%">	<p>Main area</p>	</td>	<td width="15%" align="right" valign="top" height="60%">	<p>Right side</p>	</td>	</tr>	<tr>	<td width="15%" align="left" valign="bottom" height="60%">	<p> bottem left</p>	</td>	<td width="15%" align="right" valign="bottom" height="60%">	<p> bottem right</p>	</td>

It looks, ok for a first. Did you forget the rest of the code or something? You need to start with an <html> tag. and you forgot to put ending tags for the table and body. Im not a big fan about it, sorry. It is too blocky.

:) Umm, just like the tables and such stick out too much, its too out of line. Things need to be centered better. Ill post a complete code that is valid.. sort of:
<html><head><title>Template</title><style type="text/css">a:link {display: block;height: 100%;width: 100%;text-decoration: none;color: #656565;}a:hover {color: #DDDDDD;background-color: #808080;display:block;height: 100%;width: 100%;}body { color: #656565; background-color: #000000;}</style></head><body><table width="80%" height="25%" align="center" bgcolor="#222222"><tr><td><p> Picture/banner/title goes here</p><! pic/title here></tr></table><table border="0" width="75%" bgcolor="#CCCCCC" valign="top" align="center"> <!-- LINKS GO BELOW --><tr><td align="center" onmouseover="linkHover(this)" onmouseout="linkAway(this)"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link1</a></td></td><td align="center" id="navlinks"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link2</a></td><td align="center" id="navlinks"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link3</a></td><td align="center" id="navlinks"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link4</a></td><td align="center" id="navlinks"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link5</a></td><td align="center" id="navlinks"><a href="www.w3schools.com">Link6</a></td><!-- More can be added (copy+paste and change class) --></tr></table><table height="120%" width="80%" bgcolor="010101" border="1" align="center"><tr> <!-- Main Info --><td width="15%" align="left" valign="top" height="60%"><p> left side</p></td><td width="50%"><p>Main area</p></td><td width="15%" align="right" valign="top" height="60%"><p>Right side</p></td></tr></table><br /><table border="0" style="margin: auto; background-color: #232323; width: 100%; position: fixed; top: 95%;"><tr><th><a href="http://w3schools.com">Copyright whoever... blah site</a></th></tr></table></body></html>

Take a look at that and see what I have done. Just get rid of the advertisement thing entirely, not many people do use them. Plus they would probably put it somewhere else. So it is just best to leave that out in a premade template. I think I messed up the links.. So try and fix it? lol..EDIT: updated it, links fixed... updated something else to.Cration kid: tables are actually meant for organizing data and for site layouts. its not just limited to one thing. The people that made HTML thought on it a bit..

I think that tables are fine, I have always been taught to use table for making websites, right from making my first website in year 6 in ICT on Frontpage!And all the way through to HTML and I am in year 11 now!!!. I don't see as there are any problems with the, but if you wan't to make smother edges and make it not so blocky, you can use gradients that are fading from the colour of one cell to transparent. Just then make your table with more cells.

Sorry, to have confused you, I think it is much better when people are actually talking in a topic, because it keeps a nice flow going, it can get really boring otherwise because I often sit refreeshing the page every 10 mins to check for new posts! I know, I am so sad but I can't help it, I just love my computer and the internet, I can't live without it. When I moved house I didn't have my computer for about a week and it was sooooo bad that when I got it back I stayed on it for like 15 hours or more. :)

Offtopic:// They seem to have a really different educational system in England. I'm 11th grade (year at school) but I'm 17 years old. The years at school are 12 => at 18, a person is considered to finish it's main education. The high education (university, college) is the only thing after.

In England they send you to school at the age of four, then you go through reception for a year or less depending on your birthday you then have years 1,2,3 and 4 at first school, 5,6,7 and 8 at middle school and 9,10 and 11 at high school. Your can then stay on to 6th form till year 13 or go to colege. You then go to univercity. But year 12 onwards is completely opptional.So to round it off, generally you are four or five years older than the year at school that you are in.

I see, :) edward, I can imagine staying on a computer for 15 hours +, I am usually on it 8-10 hours a day =\. I am on it a tad too much..
Yes same here, I go on my computer at 4ish in the afternoon every day till 11ish or more, then at weekends I am on my computer from about 9ish to 11 in the evening. i really must start to get a life instead of sitting in front of a computer.I also have 3 hours of ICT lessons each week at school and I am on the computers at school at break and lunchtimes, it is surprising that I dont have migranes from excessive use of a computer!

You sound like me! Maybe we are twins.. :)My school doesn't do anything for computer programing and such, except for an AP class, ap means college pretty much. You have to be in like advanced math or some crap. Meh, I've gotten this far I think I can go further by myself..

You sound like me! Maybe we are twins.. :)My school doesn't do anything for computer programing and such, except for an AP class, ap means college pretty much. You have to be in like advanced math or some crap. Meh, I've gotten this far I think I can go further by myself..
Lol, I like it, maybe twins :).I have asked many times before about coding and HTML courses and they can't offer me anything at A Level that is that specific.There used to be a flash club, and they said that I could start a HTML and coding bit within it, but that never really got off very well and then because the student teacher that set up the flash club left the flash club ended!