Browser Discussion

Jonas

You can easily make your own browser in VB, but hen again it would be based on the IE engine...you would have to write a lot of code to counter-act that :).My guess is that C or C++ would be best for writing a browser. C# would probably be good too.

The officail opera9 is out at http://www.opera.com/ yay!
Nice banner on their site. Opera 9: the browser for people who dress like they're in The Matrix, androgynous shemales, angry Henry Rollins look-alike hitmen, and guys who don't get laid because of their choice of headwear.Or; Opera 9: the browser for people who raid their grandma's closet for her pink V-neck shirts and cardigans.That guy on the right has an expression like "Hey there, I want to steal your rosary". The woman across from him thinks she is more of a man than he is.
If i install this will it mess up my current theme and shortcuts?

It shouldn't. But I think they only guarantee minor version upgrades will keep settings. But shortcuts are pretty easy, I'm sure you'll be fine. Worst case, install it in another folder.

It shouldn't.  But I think they only guarantee minor version upgrades will keep settings.  But shortcuts are pretty easy, I'm sure you'll be fine.  Worst case, install it in another folder.
I installed it and it started afresh, that's me finished customizing it so not that bad, 5mins?

Something has happened to my FF...I installed opera and now FF will not run... like you try to open the program and it freezes and the only thing new on my computer is Opera and I've never had FF freeze or lag before now...When I first installed Opera, FF started freezing, but then when I told Opera it couldn't be the default browser, FF stopped working all together.I know these to events are probly not connected but it really looks that way...

When I first installed Opera, FF started freezing, but then when I told Opera it couldn't be the default browser, FF stopped working all together.
This is a clear case of revenge. Why do you have to treat Opera like that? Opera is very sensitive. It wants to be your browser. Just let Opera be your browser!I have them running side-by-side on several machines with no problems. But then again, I always let Opera be my default.. it just likes it better that way..

^ :)You should listen to justsomeguy, he's good at reading browser emotions. :)

Has anyone else been suffering some caching problems with Opera :) For example: i can visit a thread and new posts are "missing" :) When i click refresh the appear, i'm guessing Opera loads pages from it's cache?How can i get rid of this :)

But this forum does typically mark threads for me as having new messages when they don't.
I've seen that too but this is different.I first noticed it when helping someone, i posted my 3rd reply for example and then when the page reloaded only the 1st reply was there, 2+3 were missing, when i hit refresh all 3 appeared again :) Is there a tick box or something i can try?

Well, you can look through the options and see if you can find anything. I've never seen it do that, but these pages do not have meta tags on them restricting caching. There might be a header that restricts caching, but I can't tell without digging deeper.

I need to point this out:http://operawiki.info/WebDevToolbarMake sure you click on both the menu and toolbars (2 separate items there). That is one of the coolest things I've seen for a browser, but then again, I'm a big dork.W3Schools is under the Specs toolbar Resources section a few times.

Convert forms between GET and POST - allows POST forms to convert to using GET and vice-versa.
The browser can manipulate the code :blink: that could mess up scripts :)
Show hidden form elements - Shows hidden form elements on a page.
ahhhhh :) there hidden for a reason, what's Opera all about? :)

All browsers have access to this information, and you can look it up yourself if you want anyway, the toolbars are for web developers to both debug their own pages, and to make it easier to see how others made theirs.I think it's cool that all of the tools use javascript to transform the page. I especially like this one:See Generated Source - Very useful to see the result of a javascript manipulation of a pageShows you what the source is after javascript does it's thing.This is why that web encryption package blacklists Opera. That, and because by default Opera is set to not allow javascript to see right-clicks. You have to go into the options and specifically allow that if you want scripts to capture right-clicks.

News: list-style imageI just discovered something.A list-style image only works on IE.When you go on Mozilla Firefox, it's the default.Just thought I'd mention that.

It works fine in Firefox for me :) Does this work for you? http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?fil...ist-style-image

I noticed something really nice that they added in Opera 9 to make it easier to block unwanted content. You can just right-click on a page and choose Block Content and start clicking on images you want to destroy. Once you click Done, you'll no longer see content from those servers. You can manage that under Tools -> Advanced -> Blocked Content.