Recommended books

applejay

A great beginners book is PHP5 In Easy Steps. But if you're looking for intermediate books you might find that a little patronising

As some people on here know, I'm a fan of the O'Reilly series. They have several good books on a wide range of topics.
Agreed.
O'Reillys books are mainly about security as far as I know and how to bypass it ore I should have been reading the wrong books.Ruud Hermans.
They're not mainly about security, although if your site isn't secure, you might as well just take it down. O'Reilly publishes books about a wide variety of web design languages AND also books on site security.

I find that I like the "head first" series books the best.The tutorials are great and they are pretty interesting reads. I could probably just read through the book and not fall asleep, lol. Lots of pictures and descriptions, they make it very easy to learn.
It doesn;t matter if u are a fan of the publications above , instead just think is it good enough for the learner. coz everyone is not like u as they differ.Orielly pub is for people who are geek as it is not easy to learn , i would recommand you sams publications or dreamcode pub.Regards.