W3S Forum Project: Discussion

Chocolate570

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, what's the point of wasting the Admin's time and going through all of the trouble to make a new forum? (as in forum category, not new board) Not to mention, I already made this:ClickGo sign up. :)Choco

It's not really a part of w3schools, more a part of the community here, and so I don't know if using this forum for this project more than it already has is justified. It would be better to use the phpBB forum provided by Choco. That way it doesn't depend on kaijim, and it's easy to fix forums for the different groups and smaller, more manageable threads instead of 11-pagers like this one.

Could there be a category of "everything by a little"? Scince there won't be XML or XSLT involved (as it seems) and scince I'm not efficient at the rest of the things, I might as well just correct small errors people make and slightly enhance flexibility, accessability and all that B6T.

If we dont manage to hit the 25-people target, why dont we have a crack at it anyway? It'll still be fun, and if we dont finish it, we havnt lost anything.

An AJAX RSS reader would be useful, come to think of it. I got a script to make an RSS feed once, just prepending to an xml file, but never even tried making a reader

An AJAX RSS reader would be useful, come to think of it. I got a script to make an RSS feed once, just prepending to an xml file, but never even tried making a reader
Well, that's exactly the type of XSLT I've got too. It doesn't have any special functionality. It only arranges the articles in a readable fashion and allows the showing of only a selected number of articles at a time.It needs many impovements, which is why I wanted to build upon it, instead of starting from scratch, which will end up in the same basic application anyway.

Can anyone easy and simple explain me what exactly an RSS reader is? When I don't know even what "RSS" is :)?I never did any AJAX, neither Xml, so I can't do anything that deals with that languages. XSLT is something I have never seen anything about too. I can do only markup languages (if "xml" isn't markup language), css and sql, and script languages. Which is all I need for a basic site, I don't know anything about other forms of site like when build by XML. What are the pros of xml over html, and does it compete with the difficulty (easyness) of html?-Oh, and I also know a bit of Dhtml, but that's not W3C standard so I never mention it. It consists of what I did mention already anyway.

You can't compare xml with html the way you ask, if it has any advantages over html, because they're two completely different languages meant for different things.

An attempt. Even if we dont get as many people as we had hoped, I suggest we attempt it anyway. And RSS is a news feed. Its really useful on mobile devices like PDA's and phones when you have limited download speed, as you need not download the whole web page, but only a small XML file.

Okay, but as I don't know exactly what xml is or how you create a file with it, I don't exactly understand. But nevermind, I asked a friend too, hoped to get it clear this time at W3Schools, but I think I should learn the Xml tutorial to get it straight for me :)